15 Purple Foods To Include In Your Diet
Nutritionists suggest many foods which should be included in our daily diets for our complete wellbeing. Among the foods that they usually suggest, dark colored counterparts have a major share, as it has been proven to be fact that darker the color of the food, the more the nutrition the food contains. In this article, we look at 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
15 Purple Foods To Include In Your Diet
What could be darker than the color purple, and therefore prescribed here are some purple foods that should be included in the diet for their exceptional benefits. Here are the most important 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
- Grapes: Black grapes contain many anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals which make this fruit a power fruit. Purple grapes have huge quantities of resveratrol which in turn has the same health benefits as those of red wine. Not only does it relax the arterial walls, but it has been known to prevent cancer, lessen inflammation and stabilize blood pressure as well. In addition to the above it helps lower the cholesterol too. Hence, it is one of the best 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
- Plums: Be it fiber, potassium, essential vitamins like A, B2 and C or simply taste, this little fruit has it all. Owing to these, this fruit has benefits which are above and beyond the foods in our daily diets. This fruit helps control blood sugar, lower the risk of a heart stroke and even manage blood pressure. It undoubtedly finds a place in the top 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
- Red Cabbage: Much more beneficial than the traditional green cabbage, this power food is store house of anti-oxidants and the vitamins like vitamin C, which promote overall health. Even when cooked, this wonder vegetable retains its nutrients, rather further enhances them by including the ability to lower cholesterol. Owing to its health benefits it is one of the essential purple foods to include in your diet.
- Purple Corn: Though not readily available, this super grain has quite a few attributes up its sleeve, which have been proven to be exceptionally beneficial. This grain is also one of the 15 purple foods to include in your diet. Not only does this grain help fight cancer better, but it can also be made into a number of lip smacking delicacies like tortilla chips, cereals, snack bars and corn syrup.
- Purple Carrots: In orange, red or any other carrots, the purple carrots definitely win the race in their nutritional value. This vegetable is rich in anti-oxidants and pro-vitamin A carotenoids. These compounds help managing weight, stabilizing blood sugar levels, fight cancer cells and prevent bacterial infestation in urinary tract and the stomach. With these great health benefits, purple carrots are one of the foods to be included in your diet.
- Black Currants: This power food has the magical property of lowering the bad cholesterol (LDL) and raising the good cholesterol (HDL). They also contain resveratrol, which is an ingredient that helps maintain a steady blood pressure, relax the heart and smoothen blood circulation.
- Figs: Figs are another one of the purple foods to include in your diet as they are exceptionally healthy. Among the many benefits, the most attractive is that it can help you lose extra kilos. Figs protect the body against muscular degeneration and hence promote evident weight loss.
- Cauliflower: Purple foods are known to contain Anthocyanin, which are health promoting chemicals that protect the cells and heal your bodies. This cauliflower is like broccoli in purple and turns green when cooked. Its antioxidant and sulphur containing properties help the body get rid of toxins that can damage cells and increase the risk of cancer. This too is one of the 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
Purple Potatoes: Considered to be the foods for Gods, the purple potatoes are as high in nutrition as kale or spinach. When comparing their antioxidant properties, these vegetables rank higher than most foods and hence, one of the important purple foods to include in your diet. The other nutrition that these potatoes boast of include complex carbohydrates, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid and iron.
- Prunes: Rich in phenols and natural compounds found in plants, prunes have protective properties which help increase good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol. Other than this, prunes improve vision and the relieve constipation too, making it an ideal purple addition to your diet. It surely deserves a place in the best 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
- Pomegranates: Known for providing a load full of nutritional benefits to humans, pomegranates are anti-inflammatory, anti-cancerous, help lower blood pressure, aid digestion, lower the risk of heart disease, improve memory and fight infections, both bacterial and fungal. With all the health benefits, it is surely one of the foods to include in your diet.
- Cranberries: Lowering the risk of urinary tract infections and stomach ulcers is its basic super power, but this health food is rich in vitamin C, A and K too. This makes it exceptionally nutritious and capable of fighting a number of other diseases too. No wonder, cranberries are present in the list of 15 purple foods to include in your diet.
- Purple Rice: Known to be black rice, or forbidden rice this delicacy has an interesting history. But most of all it has exceptional qualities that make this grain join the nutrient rich club of foods and hence one of the best purple foods to include in your diet. This rice is rich in antioxidants, fiber, protein, iron and carbohydrates.
Purple Asparagus: An excellent source of vitamin C, the purple asparagus is as rich in nutrients as its green counterparts. This food is rich in vitamin A, low in sodium and calories which make it perfect purple food to include in your diet.
- Eggplants: Eggplants are a rich source of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which aid overall health and wellbeing. This power food improves liver health, lower cholesterol and weight and improves cognitive functions of the human body. These distinguished benefits of the food, make it one of the popular purple foods to include in your diet.