In the simplest term, apple cider vinegar is the fermented state of apple juice and mush of the fruit. In the presence of yeast, fermentation takes place to form ethanol and some other highly active and useful natural organic chemicals. As the fermentation happens, bacteria forms and grow naturally that turns the natural sugar which is already fermented in the presence of yeast into acetic acid.(1, 2) Apple cider vinegar comprises some organic acids, like citric acid, acetic acid, lactic acid, formic acid, succinic acids, and malic acids besides some phenolic components, like catechin, gallic acid, chlorogenic acid, epicatechin, p-coumaric acid, and caffeic acid. These components remain liable for instilling vinegar with many health benefits even if you use it in little amounts.
Apple cider vinegar should be used in limited quantities with the advice of doctors or dieticians. If you are drinking apple cider vinegar in unmeasured quantities, you may end up with some side effects. Before we understand the side effects of consuming apple cider vinegar, let us quickly see what benefits apple cider vinegar has on the body.
What Are The Benefits Of Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar Regularly?
Earlier, apple cider vinegar was utilized in the form of a natural remedy to treat health problems. This was an age-old remedy. With time, people are turning more conscious of various benefits that apple cider vinegar has and they are mentioned as under:(2, 5)
- Apple cider vinegar can improve digestion as it happens to be a natural laxative
- It lowers your levels of blood sugar
- Augments insulin sensitivity
- Lessens belly fat
- Augments satiety and helps people in losing weight
- Lessens cholesterol
- Lessens the danger of getting cancer
- Apple cider vinegar also improves the health of your heart and lessens blood pressure.
What are the Side Effects of Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar Every Day?
Despite all the mentioned benefits, if apple cider vinegar is consumed in higher quantities every day, then it can cause several side effects such as:
- Low Potassium as a Side Effect of Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar can cause low levels of potassium. Hypokalemia is a condition that happens when there is low potassium. When a person has slight hypokalemia then it shows no symptoms but severe hypokalemia can result in paralysis and muscle weakness.(3)
- Delayed Emptying of the Stomach: Apple cider vinegar aids in preventing the spikes of blood sugar as it lessens the speed at which food gets into your lower digestive tract or leaves the stomach. Nonetheless, this effect is capable of worsening the signs of gastroparesis that is a common condition that does affect diabetic patients.(4)
- Digestive System related Side Effects of Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar Every Day: People who take apple cider vinegar in large quantities can experience some unpleasant digestive symptoms. According to studies, it has been discovered that apple cider vinegar can lessen appetite and encourage feelings of fullness and thus, people who consume it every day consume lesser calories.(3)
- Wearing Away Tooth Enamel as a Side Effect of Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar Every day: Beverages and acidic foods can damage your tooth enamel. Research suggests the presence of acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can damage tooth enamel. There is also evidence that huge amounts of apple cider vinegar can give rise to dental erosion.(1)
Apple cider vinegar is capable of providing many health benefits. Nonetheless, it is always a wise decision to remain safe and avert side effects. Thus, you need to keep a check on the amount of vinegar you consume besides being careful with the method of taking it. When you take vinegar in little quantities while diluting it with water then it can provide many health benefits.
- Coelho et al. (Nov, 2017) “Vinegar production from fruit concentrates: effect on volatile composition and antioxidant activity”. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 54(12): 4112–4122.
- Does Apple Cider Vinegar Clean your Kidney?
- Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Bloating
- 7 Things To Avoid While Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help in Psoriasis?
- What Are The Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar For Gout?
- How Apple Cider Vinegar Helps In Improving Hair Health?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Lower Cholesterol?