What Causes Eye to Itch and Home Remedies for Itchy Eyes?
Are you worried about itching eyes? Do you often feel your eyes are red and itchy with a burning sensation? You are not alone. There are many people, who often face this trouble of itchy eyes.
While itchy eyes are mostly related to allergies, there may be few other causes contributing to this condition. Nevertheless, allergic causes are the most common ones that cause the eye to itch. But the best thing is that there are wonderful home remedies and self-care measures that can help you to deal with the itchy eyes in a better way.
What can Cause your Eye to Itch or Causes of Itchy Eyes?
Itchy eyes can be caused due to:
Itchy Eyes Caused due to Allergies:
When eyes are exposed to the environment, various pollutants, chemicals and other substances that are potentially harmful to the eyes, act as allergens. Common allergens that cause itchy eyes include irritants like perfumes, scented sticks, cigarette smoke, vehicular pollution; allergens like dust mites, mold, feathers, pet dander, grass, weeds and trees.
These irritate the tissues and an allergic reaction that releases histamines is initiated. This results in redness and irritation of eyes that causes itching and excessive watering of eyes. On rubbing, the process continues and causes more irritation, burning and redness. There is also an increased risk of injuries to the delicate structures in the eye.
Allergic itching of eyes may be noted in association with allergic nasal conditions like allergic rhinitis or sinusitis. It is usually accompanied with symptoms like nasal congestion, running nose, sneezing, cold and sometimes headache. Seasonal allergies may be seen during particular seasons while perennial allergies are noticed throughout the year.
Itchy Eyes Caused due to Conjunctivitis:
Conjunctivitis occurring due to various causes can contribute to itchy eyes like viral or bacterial conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis due to contact lenses can also occur from oversensitivity to lenses, reaction to the solution, dryness of eyes or injuries to the eyes.
Allergic conjunctivitis is a common condition experienced by many people who easily get affected by allergies. Along with other complaints it may also pose some threat to the eyesight and in some cases blurring of vision may be caused.
Itchy Eyes Caused due to Dry Eyes:
Dry eyes is another condition that can cause dryness of the conjunctiva, redness and itching of the eyes; lack of adequate lubrication adds to the problem. Blepharitis, is a condition in which the eyelids get inflamed due to bacterial infection, blocking of oil glands or sometimes allergies. This too may result in red, swollen eyelids, dryness of eyes, irritation and itching in eyes.
Others Causes of Itchy Eyes:
Other conditions or autoimmune disorders that affect the secretion of tears in eyes and cause dryness can lead to itching of eyes.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Itchy Eyes
Itchy eyes need to be evaluated considering the symptoms, associated complaints, existing medical conditions and history of exposure to any allergens. Clinical examination and investigations like blood tests, laboratory tests for allergies, skin test for allergy would be done.
Treatment for Itchy Eyes may include eye drops for lubrication, anti-allergic medications and decongestants. Allergy and associated nasal symptoms should be treated. Allergy shots may be considered in some cases.
Prevention of Itchy Eyes
Itchy eyes due to allergies can be prevented by protecting yourself from exposure to allergens. Here are some tips to prevent allergic itchy eyes;
- Avoid going out in a particular season and timing of the day that affect you the most. Protect yourself by wearing a mask when travelling, cleaning or doing garden work.
- Maintain hygiene, have a bath and wash clothes well to get rid of allergens after coming home. Limit exposure to pets and wash your hands and clothes after playing with them. Keep pets out of your bedroom.
- Keep your house clean and free from dust, dander and outdoor pollen. Vacuum clean house, furniture and carpets regularly and clean with a wet mop. Keep doors closed to avoid pollutant from entering in. Use air-conditioners and make sure the air filters are cleaned regularly. Limit humidity in the house by using dehumidifiers.
- Avoid smoking. Prefer cooking methods that do not produce much fumes and smoke; use exhaust.
Home Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Find some simple home remedies that can help you fight the itching of eyes.
- Cold Compresses to Treat Itchy Eyes – Dip a cloth in ice water and place it over the eyes. Cold compress is a good home remedy for itchy eye. A cotton plug dipped in cold milk or rose water can be rubbed around the eyes and also be placed over the eyelids for relief from itchy eyes. Cold Chamomile tea bags can also be used in the same way. Place cucumber rings over the eyes to relieve the burning and itching sensation naturally at home.
- Eye Wash Helps get Rid of Itchy Eyes Naturally - Rose water, aloe vera juice or green tea can be used to wash the eyes and also soothe them. This is an effective home remedy for itchy eyes.
- Juice Therapy – Drink juices of raw fruits and vegetables like carrots, spinach, oranges and papaya.
Try these simple but effective remedies to manage itchy eyes at home naturally. If symptoms persists or cause more trouble, it is better to seek medical advice.