6 Home Treatments for Gout Pain
A gout attack causing gout pain generally occurs when there are high uric acid levels in the body. Buildup of uric acid in the joints leads to formation of hard uric crystals called as gout. Alcohol, food allergies, few medications and even stress leads to rise in uric acid in the body. High uric acid level in the body makes it prone to a gout attack causing severe gout pain. It is also commonly linked to other diseases like diabetes, hypertension, uric kidney stones. Know some home treatments for gout pain.
Gout Pain - Warning Signs of a Gout Attack
Those with a gouty arthritis claim of having a burning sensation, itchiness and a tingling feeling. This is also known as gouty arthritis. These are signs of a gout attack just before an hour or two. A gout flare in general cases starts up with these signs only. The joints in these cases feel sore and give a sort of stiff feeling. In cases you are getting repeated attacks of gout pain, be prepared for a massive gout flare up. There are also few cases where there are no signs of gout as such and people experienced sudden painful joint accompanied with intense soreness.
In a gout flare, most of the people have redness, swelling and pain at the joint. Common places for a gout pain to prop up are joints of fingers, toes, elbow, knees, ankles and insteps. Also the gout pain is sometimes severe and becomes unbearable. Even rubbing of a cloth against a gout produces a plethora of pain.
6 Home Treatments for Gout Pain
Know these home treatments for gout pain, which can help to manage the condition better.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most effective home treatments for gout pain. It is also used in treating headaches and stomach acid. The acid in the apple cider vinegar helps in relieving the acute pain from the joint. You can also add honey to the vinegar to boost the body`s response to inflammation.
Here are some steps to use apple cider vinegar as a home treatment for gout pain:
- Mix a spoon of raw and unfiltered( an unfiltered apple cider vinegar is the most effective one) ACV in a glass of water
- Consume it two to three times daily.
- You can even add a spoon of honey to it if desired.
Anti- inflammatory properties of ginger are all known and is very effective in relieving pain and inflammation of gout. It is one of the most popular home treatment for gout pain.
Here are some ways of using ginger as a home treatment for gout pain:
- In equal amounts, mix dried ginger powder along with fenugreek and turmeric powder. Consume this mixture along with one glass of water every day. You may also take it twice per day.
- Another way is to simply add ginger root in food items or you can even consume a raw ginger daily.
- In a glass of boiling water, add two table spoons of ginger root and mix well. Let the solution get feasible to drink and consume it twice or thrice daily. This would reduce the inflammation and pain at the joint.
- Another effectual way is making a paste of ginger root with little amount of water and applying this paste on the affected area. Leave it in that condition for about half an hour. Do this two times a day.
Baking soda is a very effective home treatment for gout pain as it helps in reducing the uric acid levels in the body.
Here is a three step procedure of using baking soda as a home treatment for gout pain:
- Mix a two table spoons of baking soda in a boiling water
- Consume the solution four times a day( not more than that)
- Continue this for 4 weeks
- However, people with high blood pressure or seniors may not be able to tolerate this remedy. Seek medical advice or keep your intake limited.
Lemon juice is very efficacious in alkalizing the whole body and neutralizing the excess uric acid in the body. Lemon juice is another essential home treatment for gout pain as it is highly constructive in reducing uric acid levels in the body. Along with lemon juice, one should also take fruits typically rich in vitamin C to strengthen body tissues. Thoroughly mix one lemon juice with two half spoons of baking soda. Let the solution settle until the fizzing subsides and then pour the content into a glass of water. Drink the solution immediately.
Another alternative is to add juice of one lemon into a glass of water and consuming it two to three times a day.
Cherries irrespective of whether they are sweet or sour are highly effective home treatment for gout pain, owing to their antioxidant properties. Since cherries also contain anthocyanins, this can reduce inflammation of gout and reduce gout flare ups. Consider these two points:
- Eating of 15-20 cherries per day is highly recommended for gout patients. For best results, one should start the day with cherries and end it with the same
- Consumption of a dark black cherry juice daily is another alterative which is highly effective. You may also add few minced garlic cloves in the solution
Epsom salt is yet another effective home treatments for gout pain and other forms of arthritis. High amounts of magnesium present in the salt improves blood pressure and also improves heart`s condition. For treating gout pain using Epsom salt, soaking the affected body part in warm water relaxes the aching muscles and also reduces the pain.
Here are three steps of doing it:
- For a leisure bath, you may add two cups of Epsom salts to water.
- Soak the affected joint in it until the water starts loosing heat
- Do this at least once a week. In case you have a highly painful and severe gout, you can do it two to three times a week.