Muscle spasm occurs when a muscle contracts on its own accord and it can be sudden in nature. The moment the twinge reaction starts near the spinal cord or anywhere in the back, or if it is localized around the nerve roots, then the pain turns agonizing and radiates all throughout the back region, thus hindering normal natural movement. This is known as back spasm.
There are both conventional as well as unconventional home remedies available to reduce back spasm. One can easily treat back spasms by either going through routine medical checkup, taking medicines and through physiotherapy or adopt simple home remedies which can be quite useful in easing back spasm.
Benefits of Home Remedies for Back Spasms
- To get rid of pain and back spasm, there are few immediate home remedies, which can be tried out at the earliest, as they will not be causing any side effect and may save one from taking harsh oral painkillers and painful injections.
- Home remedies may not be able to provide immediate relief from back spasm, but there will be gradual relief for sure, all one needs is to have a little patience.
- There are muscle relaxants available in market and can be used as a home remedy for quick relief from back spasm.
Home Remedies to Reduce Back Spasm
Ice Pack to Reduce Back Spasm
Using Ice Pack is a popular home remedy to lessen down pain and alleviate back spasm. Placing ice directly onto the area may cause some uneasiness, so it is better to use ice bag. To relieve the pain, ice pack should be rotated on the affected region in circular motion. It is not possible to apply ice pack on our own, so it is better to involve a family member or a friend to place the ice pack on the aching area in the back. The ice massaging should be continued for about 15 minutes. The home remedy using cold compress eases away the pain and decreases the inflammation in the affected area as well as the surrounding area, thus relieving back spasm. All throughout the day, the ice pack can be used with taking breaks for 20 minutes or so in between the applications.
Aloe Vera to Reduce Back Spasm
Many people are unaware of the goodness of Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is not only a fantastic home remedy to treat skin and hair problems, but the plant of Aloe Vera is known to contain amazing pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in reducing pain and back spasm. Aloe vera greatly calms down the irritating muscles, tendons and tissues, reducing excruciating pain and ache together with swelling and back spasm. The pulp from the fresh aloe vera leaf should be mixed with some turmeric and this mixture should be heated for sometime by rapid stirring. Spreading this mixture onto the affected area offers some relief gradually. Right after putting the mixture, some padded gauze should be placed which can be held securely by a tape.
Mustard Oil to Reduce Back Spasm
Mustard oil is a rich source of essential nutrients and helps in strengthening bones, ligaments, muscles and tendons quite effectively. Mustard oil is a great home remedy in restoring and regenerating the torn tissues and tendons and easing back spasm. Right after warming the oil, add a piece of camphor to it. Apply this warm mustard oil on the affected back region thrice a day. You will see a gradual decrease in the pain, swelling and back spasm.
Turmeric Powder-An Effective Home Remedy to Reduce Back Spasm
Turmeric is quite popular in easing pain. Make a paste by mixing turmeric and Ghee and apply this paste to the affected area. Spread this paste over your back and place some betel leaves on it. Secure these betel leaves with a first aid tape to your back. Use this home remedy for back spasm thrice a day to heal your tendons and muscles till the back pain and spasm completely resolves.
Castor Oil to Reduce Back Spasm
Castor Oil is also an effective home remedy for back spasm just like the Mustard oil. Dip a piece of cloth in warm castor oil and place it upon the affected back region. Use a plastic sheet to cover on top of it and to trap the warmth of the castor oil. This oil soaked pad can be kept for about half-an-hour. Use this home remedy for back spasm twice a day till the problem resolves.
Walking to Reduce Back Spasm
Most of us think that if we have back pain or back spasm, we should avoid all physical activities and take rest by lying down. However, the fact of the matter is when it comes to back spasm, it is better to be up and move about a little. A short walk is helpful and if longer walks can be tolerated, then long walks help in easing away the pain and back spasm. Medical research proves that prolonged inactivity generates more pain and spasm. So, it is recommended that the patient perform some kind of movement. Prolonged inactivity actually causes stiffening of the back muscles and produces more back pain and back spasm. Gentle walking benefits back pain and back spasm, as it promotes blood flow to the affected area, thus speeding the healing process.
Heating Pads to Reduce Back Spasm
Heating pads are as effective as the cold compresses. Heating pads are known to bring relief from pain and spasm in the affected area. Some people use cold and heat application alternatively upon the affected area. The physical therapist can render much help as well as personal suitability and choice regarding this type of alternate cold and hot therapy for back spasm.
Back Spasm: Some Facts About This Unbearable Ache
- Back spasm can start unexpectedly and soon the sufferer experiences quick swift and sudden pain in the lower back area, especially when movements include activities like pushing, pulling and twisting. When such activities are continued for a consistent time span, then the pain from back spasm becomes unbearable.
- However, soon the muscles, which are overstretched start bleeding and in worse possible cases they bleed together with the tendons.
- Right before the back spasms start, the back muscles usually swell and inflame causing acute pain.
- When the inflamed muscles are excessively stretched, then they may tear down quite easily and this can cause the tendons to experience the same fate.
- Sports, which involve huge amount of pushing and lifting or abrupt twisting, can easily overstretch and overstrain the muscles and cause back spasms.
- Health conditions like weak stomach muscles, ruptured disc and arthritis, inflexible muscles in the back area may also induce back spasm and pain in the back region.
- Lower Back Muscle Spasms: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Q and A on Disabling Low Back Pain Due To Muscle Spasm or Tense Back Muscles or Facet Joint Pain
- Massage Therapy For Muscles Spasm: Strain, Pain, Deep Tissue Massage Benefits, Contraindications