Cancer, including nasopharyngeal cancer, can be treated using various treatment plans. But basically, the initial treatment consideration is radiation, followed by chemotherapy, and surgery if the need arises. Other treatment plans for cancer include palliative care and hormone therapy. The ideal treatment plan for cancer will vary depending on the stage of cancer, the extent of the spread among other crucial factors. Home remedies are usually meant to prevent cancer or else, ease the symptoms of cancer. There are also others which are meant to boost the immune system so as to help with fighting the tumor.
Home Remedies For Nasopharyngeal Cancer
For individuals with nasopharyngeal cancer, the following home remedies can help with coping with the ailment much better.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush your teeth several times a day. You should brush gently and in case of sensitivity, let your doctor know.
- Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water after meals.
- Keep your mouth moistened. You should drink plenty of water throughout the day and you can also try sugarless gum or candy so as to stimulate your mouth.
- Eat moist foods such as foods with sauce, gravy, butter, or broth.
- Do not eat spicy or acidic foods that may irritate your mouth. Also, avoid salt-cured fish and meats as well as tobacco products. Additionally, avoid caffeinated drinks and alcoholic beverages.
- Eating healthy foods including fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, grapes, ginseng, aloe vera, soybeans, and wheatgrass, which are known to be helpful when undergoing radiation or chemotherapy.
- Taking particular vitamins and minerals which can help with cancer and its symptoms. They include; rhubarb, zinc, and transfer factor. The root of the rhubarb has medicinal properties and has various benefits including possible improvement in the healing process in patients with nasopharyngeal cancer, but it probably doesn’t help.
- Zinc is a mineral, which is essential in the body. It has a number of benefits including boosting the immune system, treatment of common cold & recurrent ear infections, ringing in the ears, as well as cancer prevention including esophageal cancer, neck cancer recurrence, and throat cancer recurrence, to name but a few.
- Transfer factor is a chemical extracted from a human or animal that already has immunity against a certain disease. Transfer factors have been tested in labs for various ailments, yet still, there is no proof whether it’d work for patients with nasopharyngeal cancer. Regardless, if it could work, then it’d be a stepping stone to treating cancer.
Dealing Emotionally With Nasopharyngeal Cancer
It can be an emotional blow at first after finding out you’ve got cancer. As much as everyone deals differently with unpleasant news, it is important that you get to react to finding out you have nasopharyngeal cancer. Take time to grieve and accept that you are sick and should get the help you need. The best way to deal emotionally can include;
- Getting enough crucial information about cancer so that you can confidently make choices, say of treatment.
- Confide in a friend, who you can talk to about your emotions and share your thoughts with. Alternatively, seek professional help from a psychologist or join a cancer group.
- Take time for yourself to be alone and sort whatever it is you’re feeling towards being sick.
Taking better care of yourself through lifestyle modifications which will work in favor of your condition. For example, you should eat healthily, exercise regularly, sleep enough, and above all, follow through with your treatment plan.
In most cases, home remedies are meant to supplement medication treatment for a certain condition. In this case, the aforementioned home remedies are meant to help a patient recover in a better condition from nasopharyngeal cancer. While some of the home remedies, some have no guarantee of being effective. It is important that if you want to take vitamins or minerals to help with the recovery process of nasopharyngeal cancer, you inform your doctor beforehand for more details and guidance.