How Long Can Trichomoniasis Live Outside the Body?
The parasite that causes Trichomoniasis in patients can live outside the body for duration of 45 minutes. This means that Trichomoniasis can survive in people’s towels and garments for a period of time. Therefore, Trichomoniasis is spread not only through sexual acts but also if such towels and garments like swimwear are shared by other people, they may have a high risk of contracting the disease.
How Long Does It Take For The Symptoms To Develop in Trichomoniasis?
For the symptoms of Trichomoniasis to manifest, all humans need an average of five to twenty eight days after being infected. This is because such duration marks as period of incubation of the parasite. Sometimes symptoms may take more than 28 days, or sometimes there may be no symptom at all. Nevertheless, a person should inform the doctor in case of some form of foul smelling discharge or extreme pain experienced while urinating or having sex.
What are the Natural Remedies For Treating Trichomoniasis?
Parasitic infection like Trichomoniasis cannot be treated at home and antibiotics are required in order to get rid of the infection. Thus a doctor should be consulted for the treatment. However, there are certain home remedies which can help in working efficiently with the antibiotics in order to increase its power. Such include-
- A woman can douche with a mixture of lemon and vinegar. One must take one teaspoon of vinegar along with the juice of a lemon and mix with some warm water and use this in bath.
- Another method of douching involves use of the lemon yogurt douche. The parts include half a teaspoon of natural yogurt mixed in a cup of water with one full lemon’s juice.
- One may also add few drops of oil of bergamot in any form of the natural douches or in the bath.
- It should be noted that none of the methods may be used as a soul treatment method for Trichomoniasis. These methods only help increase the effectiveness of the antibiotics so prescribed.
- Douching with any commercial article which has fragrance in it should not be used. They increase the risk of infection instead of doing the opposite.
- While the treatment of the disease goes on, one is advised not to have sex. The doctor usually informs the patient once the infection clears up.
- It is important for all the sexual partners of the patient to get treated for the same. This ensures that the infection does not spread of pass back and forth further.
Can Trichomoniasis Be Prevented?
If a person is sexually active, it may be difficult for him or her to prevent Trichomoniasis altogether. However, certain precautions which are worth mentioning include-
- Use of condoms is one of the essential features to protect the genitals from having the disease while having sex.
- One must essentially limit the frequent change of sexual partners in order to be away from Trichomoniasis.
- One must not share swimsuits or undergarments with others. Sharing of towels should also be avoided. This is because Trichomoniasis may live outside the body for a considerable period of time and can transfer through towels and garments.
- It is essential to have a proper shower after using public places for swimming or swimming pools. This help in keeping the infection away.
- One must have shower before and after sex in order to reduce the chances of having the disease.
Use of towels of others should also be avoided. Trichomoniasis can be easily treated with antibiotics and thus one must not shy away for visiting a doctor if needed.