People suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS find difficulty with numerous kinds of food. Every patient with IBS is affected differently since each body shows varied kinds of symptoms. The most common symptoms of IBS are abdominal pain, Gas, bloating, diarrhoea or constipation. It is still not explained what causing IBS but there are certain methods that you can adopt to help you treat the patient suffering from IBS. The symptoms of IBS come and go and therefore the treatments can help you get relief form the regular pain. The main difficulty which causes IBS usually is the inflammation of the digestive tract (since our guts are very sensitive) which resists the bowel movements smoothly. One can choose to change his or her daily diet to deal with IBS. One of the staple foods in rice and you might find out which kind of rice suits you if you are suffering from IBS.
Rice has a lot of varieties. The main two kinds are White rice & Brown rice.
The U.S. department of Agriculture defines that brown rice is the rice which contains more minerals and has high fibre content. The white rice is more processed and during this processing a lot of minerals are lost. The refining which takes the minerals away helps the white rice to gain longer shelf life than brown rice. The usual ingredients that get removed during the refining are iron, thiamine, and niacin while folic acid is added for preservation purposes.
Is It OK to Eat Rice with IBS?
Rice is found to cause disturbances like formation of gas and bloating in patients suffering from IBS. It does not mean that rice cannot be consumed at all or that rice will cause similar symptoms in all patients of IBS. Brown rice which contains more fibre may lead to gas formation even though it can help you relieve constipation. Abdominal pain can arise if your daily meal does not contain high fibre usually. White rice is found safe to be consumed by most patients of IBS. At the same time, the starch content of white rice is high which can further lead to gas and bloating.
Recommendations While Having Rice for IBS Patients
You can follow a tip suggested by the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders which asks you to keep a book noting the symptoms that develop from eating each kind of rice. You can then find out which type of rice is triggering IBS relates issues and you can change your diet plans accordingly. If you find brown rice is troubling you, then you might also choose to drink large amount of water and less other kinds of fibrous foods in your diet. If white rice troubles you, shift to brown rice since it can help you ease bloating. If you eat plain rice without the spices a lot of potentially triggering products will be excluded from your diet. Leaving our rice totally from your diet is not a recommended suggestion since you will not receive a lot of other nutrients that you get from rice. Always consult a doctor before changing your IBS diet plans.
- International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders – Diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): https://www.aboutibs.org/ibs-diet.html
- Monash University – The Low FODMAP Diet for IBS: https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/starting-the-low-fodmap-diet/
- Nutrients – Nutritional and Digestive Health Benefits of Beans and Pulses: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257702/
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Classification and Types, Pathophysiology, Etiology, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Investigations
- Rice Water Benefits: Know Its Beauty & Health Secrets
- Disability Benefits For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Health Benefits of Rice Bran Oil & Its Side Effects
- Brown Rice Vs White Rice: Differences Worth Knowing
- 5 Health Benefits of Jasmine Rice