What Can You Eat If You Have IBS?
IBS is directly associated with the food to eat. You definitely do not want to eat foods which worsen the condition of IBS. On the other hand, eating a healthy diet has high chances of improving the IBS condition.
Although, before making any dietary changes to manage your IBS, track your eating habits. This will help you to identify foods that are triggering a response in your body. Record everything for a week and then make your diet plan for IBS.
What Can You Eat If You Have IBS?
For remaining healthy and to overcome the symptoms of IBS, we must eat balanced diet. For a balanced diet, we should eat from these five categories: Dairy products, pasta & potatoes, cereals, fruits and vegetables, meat and fish in appropriate proportions.
Although, some sensitive people suffering from IBS can react to milk, certain veggies and fruits that contain absorbed sugars, wheat based cereals, fats, coffee, hot spices, dairy products and some high fiber fruits. But people suffering from IBS can still eat a rich and varied diet while restricting the foods that may worsen the condition. Some of the guidelines you need to follow for IBS are:
- Reduce the intake of pulses like beans, lentils and peas. Avoid eating onions as it can trigger IBS.
- Avoid eating apples and fruits containing stones. You can eat citrus fruits though. You can eat apple sauce though.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages and eating hot spicy food.
- Avoid eating high fat dairy foods and fatty meat.
- Do not drink more than half pint of milk a day. Try using lactose free milk or calcium enriched supplement.
Some Safe Foods to Eat If You Have IBS:
- Arrowroot crackers
- Plain white rice
- Plain baked potatoes, without the skin
- Plain angel food cake
- Fat-free fortune cookies
- Fat-free Saltines
- Pretzels [salted or unsalted]
- Toasted plain English muffins
- Toasted plain bagels
- White breads (French or sourdough, not multi grain)
- Cream of Rice cereal (stir in some Acacia Tummy Fiber)
- Plain cooked pasta sprinkled with a little salt is also good to eat if you have IBS.
- Homemade dried or fresh bananas
- Medicinal strength and high volatility oil, ginger tea, fennel, chamomile, or hot peppermint are also some foods that one can eat if you have IBS.
- Cold fat-free cereal like corn chex, corn pops, honeycomb, rice krispies and rice chex.
It is necessary to avoid whole wheat, granola, bran and cereals with nuts, raisins and other dried fruits if you have IBS.
It is necessary to drink sufficient fluids during the day to stay hydrated when you have IBS. Drink water or herbal tea. Two liters of water a day would work miraculously if you have IBS. But avoid drinking the following drinks:
- Fizzy carbonated drinks: These can cause bloating for IBS sufferers.
- Tea, coffee and caffeinated beverages: These may stimulate colonic spasms.
- Alcohol: It might irritate your gut and cause diarrhea. Do not drink more than two units a day.
Polyols: Flavored water, sugar free mints, products containing xylitol, mannitol or sorbitol, or chewing gum which can cause diarrhea if consumed excessively.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Classification and Types, Pathophysiology, Etiology, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Investigations
- Disability Benefits For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- How Long Does Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms Last?
- What to Take for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Green Tea Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is Fiber Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Are Apples Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Is There a Cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Are Avocados Good for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- How Do You Get Rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?