Joint ailments are very debilitating as they make the patient suffer from pain, inflammation, discomfort, and inflexibility. The pain in the joint can occur due to damage of ligament, tendon, cartilage or the muscle. There are few herbs for joint ailments which have anti-inflammatory properties and can help in easing the pain and discomfort caused by them.
Herbs for Joint Ailments
Joint ailments are a common problem, but apart from medications, they can also be managed with natural remedies and exercises. There are various type of joint ailments, few amongst them are,
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This joint problem is caused due to immune system dysfunction. It is very painful and can often lead to immobility of joints. Rheumatoid arthritis most commonly affects feet, ankle, wrist, and fingers.
- Osteoarthritis: It is a degenerative disorder and occurs due to degeneration of the cartilage of bones and joints. The joint affected mostly are that of hip, knee, and thumb joints. It commonly affects middle-aged and older people.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: This joint disease affects the people suffering from a skin condition known as psoriasis. The joints affected also show an inflamed skin on the surface.
- Gout: It is a common and complex form of arthritis which is characterized by pain, redness, swelling, and tenderness. It mostly is seen affecting the big toe. The affected joint feels hot, swollen, and tender.
- Fibromyalgia: It is a disorder which can lead to joint ailments. In fibromyalgia, the patient experiences musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory, and mood issues.
In most of these joint ailments, the pain and inflammation in the affected joints persist in spite of taking various medications. It causes great discomfort and can affect the day to day activities as well. Additionally, many medicines have their own side effects if taken for a long time. Hence, many people, now prefer natural remedies to manage joint pains. These also include the use of herbs for joint ailments that can provide natural relief.
The toxins present in the blood circulate all through the body and cause inflammation. The herbs for joint ailments help in removing the toxins from the body by naturally cleaning the kidneys and large intestine, increasing the blood flow and aiding the lymph drainage. The herbs which help clean and detoxify the body are,
Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is a popular remedy in alternative treatment for various health ailments. It is well-known for its healing properties and is hence used as one of the herbs for joint ailments. It can also be applied topically on the aching joint to soothe it.
Turmeric – Turmeric is a very effective and easily available anti-inflammatory herb. It contains curcumin and curcuminoids which help in decreasing inflammation, thus making it one of the effective herbs for joint ailments. Along with providing relief in the inflammation of the joints, turmeric is often recommended in the treatment of cancer, Alzheimer’s and cataracts. This herb is mostly added to the food, but can also be taken as a supplement to experience the medical benefits. Black pepper or ginger activate the turmeric, so can be added along while cooking.
Licorice – Licorice is known as the body’s own natural corticosteroid. It decreases free radicals at the site of inflammation and also inhibits the enzymes involved in the inflammatory process. Glycyrrhizin, present in licorice, blocks and relieves inflammation, thus known as one of the useful herbs for joint ailments. It supports the release of cortisol, which suppresses the immune system and eases pain and the occurrence of arthritis. Licorice can be used as a supplement or as a tea. People suffering from high blood pressure should avoid the herb as its excess intake can increase the blood pressure levels.
Ginger – Ginger is one of the most popular herbs for joint ailments and inflammatory problems. Gingerol and shogaol are the two chemicals present in ginger which block the inflammation pathways in the body. Various researches were done, which show that the occurrences of osteoarthritis decrease by taking ginger. It can be taken by boiling it in tea or added to soups and salads. Make sure to wait for 30 to 60 minutes before consuming it as tea.
Flaxseed – Flaxseed is the known best source of omega-3 fatty acid and an excellent herb for joint ailments. It strengthens the immune system and helps in fighting against inflammation in the people suffering from arthritis. Two tablespoons of flaxseeds can be consumed every day, or flaxseed oil can be added to the daily diet. If suffering from irritable bowel syndrome then taking oil is preferable than taking the seeds, as they could irritate the condition.
These are some of the herbs for joint ailments that can offer relief from joint conditions and persistent pain that affects daily life. However, in addition to this, following medical advice and taking prescribed medications as advised are necessary. Also, eating healthy, maintaining healthy weight, being physically active and performing strengthening exercises for the affected joints can help relieve discomfort and protect joints.
- Arthritis Foundation. (2021). Rheumatoid Arthritis https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/rheumatoid-arthritis
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Osteoarthritis https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoarthritis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351925
- National Psoriasis Foundation. (2021). About Psoriatic Arthritis https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriatic-arthritis
- Arthritis Foundation. (2021). Gout https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/gout
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. (2021). Turmeric https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/turmeric
- Understanding Joint Pain and Tips to Get Relief Using Home Remedies
- Facet Joint or Zygapophysial Joint Pain: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Joint Pain: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Pathophysiology, Types
- Differences Between Muscle Pain and Joint Pain
- Joint Pain and Fatigue – What Could be the Possibilities?
- What Causes Joint Pain after Delivery, Know its Recovery Period, Home Remedies?
- 5 Exercises for Cervical Facet Joint Pain