Compulsive sexual behavior refers to a condition, according to which a person fails to manage his sexual behavior. Persistent sexual thoughts may interfere with the ability of an individual to perform the daily work, maintain a good relationship or complete their regular activities. Also, a few doctors also refer to the problem as a type of impulse disorder, which characterizes a persistent failure pattern to control urges, intense and repetitive sexual impulses leading to repetitive sexual behavior. Because of this problem, repetitive sexual activities become a central action or focus in the life of an affected person and the focus reaches to such extent that he overlooks the personal care and health of other people. Besides, the person fails to meet his other responsibilities or fails to perform any of the activities properly.(1)
How Does Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder Affect The Body?
Compulsive sexual behavior may have countless negative consequences, which not only affect the patients, but also other individuals. Accordingly, individuals have to-
- Struggle with their shame, guilt and low self-esteem types of feelings
- Develop several other mental health conditions, like anxiety, extreme level of depression and negative stress.
- Patients consistently say lie or neglect their partners and other family members. In some of the cases, patients attempt to destroy or harm their meaningful relationships.
- Trap or transmit various sexually transmitted infections, especially hepatitis and HIV because of regular and unprotected sex.
- Intention to buy sexual services and pornography, while result in the accumulation of many big financial debts
- Involvement in various unhealthy substance uses, like alcohol or drug use
- Arrest for multiple times because of sexual offenses
- Loss of focus or involvement in any other work or activity, which may risk the job.(2)
What Triggers Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder?
Triggers of the problem of compulsive sexual behavior disorder include the common causes of the problem and a few of the risk factors. Until now, none of the doctors have succeeded to identify the exact cause of the problem. However, in most of the cases, they are-
Imbalance In Natural Chemicals Found In The Brain: Certain brain chemicals i.e. neurotransmitters, like dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine help you in regulating one’s mood. However, if these chemicals remain present at high levels, they may sometimes result in compulsive sexual behavior.
Certain Changes In The Pathways Of One’s Brain: Compulsive sexual behavior may sometimes start in the form of addiction and over time, it results in certain changes in the neural circuits of one’s brain, especially in its reinforcement centers. As similar to other types of addictions, patients need highly-intensive sexual content and stimulation with time to achieve relief and satisfaction.
Specific Conditions To Affect the Brain: Specific diseases or health issues, like dementia and epilepsy may damage a few of the brain parts, which control sexual behavior. Besides, dopamine medications used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease may sometimes lead to compulsive sexual behavior.(3)
Risk Factors For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
Compulsive sexual behavior disorder may take place in both women and men. However, the problem is common in men and may affect almost every individual regardless of sexual orientation. There are a few of the common factors, which may increase one’s risk of suffering from the disorder.
Easily Accessible To Sexual Contents: Advancement in technology and the use of social media allow people to access to intensive sexual information and imageries.
Privacy And Secrecy: Privacy and secrecy of compulsive sexual activities tend to make the mentioned problems worse with time.
Other than this, the following people remain at a relatively high risk to suffer from compulsive sexual behavior-
- Drug or alcohol abuse problems
- Mood disorder, like anxiety or depression and mental health condition, along with addiction to gambling addiction
- Conflicts within the family or addiction problems experienced by family members
- A previous history related to sexual or physical abuse(3)
To conclude, we should say that compulsive sexual behavior may affect an individual in multiple ways and may take place because of diverse causes and risk factors.
- Compulsive Sexual Behavior or Hypersexual Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis
- Treatment for Compulsive Sexual Behavior or Hypersexual Disorder & Preventing Relapse
- Prognosis of Compulsive Sexual Behavior or Hypersexual Disorder & its Prevention
- Recovery from Compulsive Sexual Behavior or Hypersexual Disorder
- Coping Methods For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
- How To Diagnose Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder & What Is The Best Medicine For It?
- Lifestyle Changes For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder