Aging is a continuous process but some factors can help in healthy aging. Dietary and lifestyle choices can help in slowing down the aging process.
Aging is a natural process in which there is age-associated damage, response to the damage, and finally the consequences. Processes that increase free radicals, causing cellular damage and inflammation, ultimately result in aging.1
Aging is associated with the degeneration of tissues, acceleration of inflammatory processes, loss of physiological integrity, reduced capacity to respond to environmental stimuli, and increased risk of diseases.2 Anti-aging supplements can be a great option to counter degenerative changes and support healthy aging. It can also help lighten the blemishes on the skin since cell denigration can decrease the skin’s quick healing properties. You can visit website to find some of the best anti-aging products to lighten blemishes.
List of Best Anti-Aging Supplements
While we cannot stop the aging process, the right diet or nutrition and supplements, as needed can support the healthy aging process. Experts believe that nutrition has a key role in the aging process and a healthy approach can be achieved in various ways. This could be one of the main reasons for the increasing popularity of anti-aging supplements in the last few years.
Certain nutrition supplements can help counter the wear and tear of the aging process by reversing cellular damage caused by environmental toxins and oxidative stress.3
A study reports that the antiaging ingredients in food can relieve skin aging by improving absorption of essential components, reducing oxidative damage, and enhancing antioxidant enzyme activity.4 Hence, anti-aging supplements are widely used to improve skin health.
Certain vitamins, minerals, and plant extracts with health benefits are often used in nutritional supplements. A proper combination of these nutrients helps maintain proper brain function, and bone strength, and may protect against common vascular and prostate diseases.3
Here are Some of the Best Anti-Aging Supplements:
These are metabolites of plants and contain antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties by inhibiting collagen degradation, increasing collagen synthesis, and controlling inflammation.4 Recently, tea polyphenols, curcumin, flavonoids, silymarin, and grape resveratrol have been the most popularly studied polyphenols with anti-aging properties. These are some of the most popular and best anti-aging supplements that can help slow down the aging process.
- Curcumin – Curcumin, a popular spice, which is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is considered one of the best anti-aging supplements. It improves aging symptoms and postpones age-related diseases in which cellular senescence is directly involved.5 Its antioxidant, immunomodulatory, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, cardioprotective, nephron protective, anti-neoplastic, and anti-rheumatic properties can help prevent many diseases.6
- Flavonoids – Recent studies have shown that flavonoids can delay aging and prolong a healthy lifespan by eliminating senescent cells, inhibiting the processes that cause aging, improving DNA repair, and maintaining metabolic homeostasis.7 Flavonoid therapy can be effective and prove to be one of the best anti-aging supplements. Several studies show that flavonoid intake inhibits certain biochemical processes of brain aging. Hence, they may be helpful to prevent to some extent the cognitive decline with aging and the course of neurogenerative diseases.8
- Tea polyphenols – Tea polyphenols have antioxidant properties and can be some of the best anti-aging supplements. Catechins have anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and anti-cancer effects. Catechins increase the absorption of healthy food and bio cosmetics into the body and the skin, thereby improving their utility.9 Green tea is a popular drink and is considered one of the best anti-aging supplements. Several studies have concluded that green tea can offer protection against oxidative stress and is useful for the skin.10
Vitamins have anti-oxidant properties and are used in several nutritional products owing to their health benefits. These are considered among the best anti-aging supplements as most of them help to reduce oxidative stress.4 Many vitamins such as vitamins A, B (B3, B12), E, D, C, coenzyme Q10, and lipoic acid have been the focus of research for their role as anti-aging supplements.
- Vitamin A – Retinoids prevent aging and are used to prevent photo-aging of the skin.
- Vitamin B – It helps prevent inflammation and also prevents aging.
- Vitamin C – It is a powerful antioxidant that promotes collagen synthesis and reduces skin aging.
- Vitamin D – It can reduce DNA damage, inflammation, and photocarcinogenesis caused by ultraviolet rays thus protecting the skin.
- Vitamin E – It is a powerful antioxidant and can help protect against several diseases related to the aging process. A study showed that it has an important role to play in fighting atherosclerosis, oxidative stress, cancer, cataract, and Alzheimer’s Disease.11
- Coenzyme Q10 – It is an anti-oxidant, plays an important role in energy production, and can be one of the best anti-aging supplements. When these levels are low oxidative stress is higher. Its antioxidant properties can alleviate inflammation and cardiovascular disease.12
- Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) – This works as an antioxidant and a precursor to Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), the levels of which deplete with aging. This is linked with oxidative stress, DNA damage, inflammation, and cognitive decline. Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) supplementation has shown therapeutic effects on various age-induced complications.13 This makes it one of the potential anti-aging supplements.
A 2019 study reported that about recent advances in anti-aging medicine. This included information on anti-aging supplements that can support healthy aging.14
Hormonal replacements like estrogen, progestin, testosterone and DHEA in the elderly have been shown to improve quality of life. However, owing to its risk of thromboembolism or some types of cancer, it is necessary to monitor the dose appropriately.
Balancing healthy gut microbiota through prebiotic/probiotics can have significant potential in anti-aging medicine.
Vitamin D offers several benefits to the elderly and can be a primary anti-aging medicine.
A 2022 report concludes that daily supplementation of high-dose vitamin D3 plus omega-3s, combined with a simple home strength exercise program can be effective in the prevention of invasive cancer in generally healthy and active adults aged 70 and older.15
These are some of the best anti-aging supplements that can prove to be beneficial in different ways. The best type of supplement that a person needs may also depend on the individual condition and it would be good to seek a medical opinion.
- Diets that are Anti-Aging
- Anti-Aging Benefits of Water
- How Your Skin Ages In Your 30s & Anti-Aging Skincare For 30s
- 9 Amazing Anti-Aging Benefits of Water
- Top 21 Anti-Aging Foods To Make You Feel and Look Younger
- 7 Anti-Aging Tips To Add To Your Beauty Routine