Many of you may be shocked to know that on an average, we start to lose our hearing in our twenties! Can you believe it? This hearing loss is not always obvious because it is so gradual that many people do not notice it until the hearing loss has become so profound that it affects their lives. Sometimes, a person may only be able to hear television at the highest volume and still won't aware that he/she is suffering from hearing loss.
Natural Remedies to Improve Hearing
Diet to Improve Hearing Naturally
- One should always follow a balanced diet consisting of smaller and frequent meals which consists of sufficient quantities of organic animal proteins and complex carbohydrates.
- Consuming sesame seeds, scallions, fish, soybeans, baked tofu, walnuts, lentils, eggs, lotus seeds, black beans, cinnamon bark and ginger is beneficial for hearing.
- The yang energy of the kidneys can be strengthened by adding warming foods, such as lamb and organic chicken to improve hearing.
- For good hearing, one should avoid icy beverages, cold and raw foods, as the coldness may lead to constriction of the eustachian tubes which leads to poor drainage from the inner ears.
- Always avoid processed dairy products and meats because they can lead to increase in mucus production. Also, it was found that patients with partial hearing loss have protein deposits similar to those present in milk in their inner ears.
- It is important to avoid greasy and fried foods from your diet and follow a diet low in saturated fats for improved hearing.
- Bone marrow soup is also beneficial for improving hearing. It can be made by using organic calves' bones or sheep's bones. Take 3 pounds of bones and cook them in a large pot which is filled with 8 cups of water, with 1/3 cup each of kidney beans, black beans, adzuki beans, 1 sliced onion, 2 diced celery stalks, 2 diced carrots and 1/2 cup of dried seaweed. Add 1 teaspoon each of turmeric, black pepper and cumin for seasoning. Do not use salt. Drink a bowl of this soup daily for improved hearing.
Ear Irrigation to Improve Hearing
One of the common causes of diminished hearing is buildup of ear wax. Ear wax kits with instructions can be bought for ear irrigation to remove the excess wax. Alternatively, visiting an ear, nose, and throat specialist will also resolve the problem especially if the condition is severe.
Ginger Tea to Improve Hearing Naturally
Drinking a spice-ginger tea helps in improving hearing. Take 1 heaped tablespoon each of dried cilantro, oregano, cilantro, sage, rosemary and 3 pieces of fresh ginger and add it to 4 cups of water and boil it for 15 minutes. Place a lid over the pot to prevent steam from escaping as the tea boils. Strain this decoction and drink this ginger tea one cup thrice a day for 3 weeks to improve hearing.
Application of Ginger Compress to Improve Hearing Naturally
Application of ginger compress over the area of kidneys and ears helps in breaking the fat and mucus buildup and helps in improving hearing.
Cajeput Oil Massage to Improve Hearing Naturally
Massage using Cajeput essential oil which possesses a wonderful stimulating aroma helps in improving hearing. Cajeput essential oil has a combination of multiple benefits of Eucalyptus and Tea Tree oil in one. Take a few drops of Cajeput essential oil and massage using this oil in front and behind the ears. This massage helps in increasing blood circulation which helps in improving the hearing.
Vitamin Supplements to Improve Hearing
- Taking 300 mg of vitamin B3 (niacin) daily helps in increasing the blood flow to the microcapillaries of the inner ear, which feed the auditory nerve and cause a heat flush for about half-an-hour and improves hearing.
- Taking 400 mg of folic acid (folate) daily helps in slowing the hearing loss.
- Taking 500 mg of N-acetylcysteine daily helps in preventing hearing loss. This is more beneficial for people who persistently get exposed to loud noise.
- Taking 200 IU of vitamins A, 1000 mg of Carotenoids and vitamin C, vitamin E 800 IU helps in improved hearing and decreases the risk of noise-induced hearing loss.
Herbs to Improve Hearing
Herbs are also beneficial for improving hearing. They can be found in health foods, online or are available at Chinese medicine practitioners. One should be careful before using herbs and they should be used according to a person's individual needs. A customized formulation can be prescribed by a licensed practitioner.
Ginkgo biloba increases capillary blood circulation which stabilizes the hearing loss and improves hearing, especially if the hearing loss is from nerve deafness. The leaves of Ginkgo increase the peripheral and cerebral blood flow and improve the nerve transmission. Ginkgo biloba can be taken as an extract or in tea or in a capsule form twice daily to improve hearing.
Hawthorn berry improves hearing and prevents hearing loss by activating blood flow.
Traditional Chinese Herbs
Other herbs which help in Improving Hearing include wild yam, rehmannia, Asian cornelian, schizandra and magnetite.
Exercises for Improving Hearing
Qi Gong for Improving Hearing
Following a regimen of tai chi and qi gong in combination with moderate cardiovascular exercise helps in supporting healthy hearing. Given below are some exercises which done daily help in improving the hearing.
Beating the Heavenly Drum
- Sit comfortably at the edge of a strong chair.
- Keep your spine erect and place your arms on the legs.
- Keep the head tilted slightly forward.
- Start breathing slowly and rhythmically by inhaling gently and deeply and exhaling slowly.
- Next place your palms over your ears to cover them with the fingers of both the hands pointing towards each other behind your head.
- Inhale while placing your index fingers on top of the middle fingers and quickly separate them striking the posterior side of the head on the depressions situated at the base of the skull, behind the ears. This is where the Wind Pond acupoints are located.
- Do this continuously with around one strike in a second.
- Upon exhaling, continue striking the Wind Pond points using your index fingers while bending at the waist forward
- Keep your head tilted down and continue to breathe and strike for about 20 to 30 seconds till you have struck the Wind Pond points 36 times. Finish this by rising back to the sitting position upon the last exhalation.
Sounding the Heavenly Bell
- Sit comfortably at the edge of a strong chair. Keep your spine erect and place your arms on your legs. Keep your head tilted forward slightly.
- Start breathing slowly and rhythmically with deep and gentle inhalations and slowly exhaling.
- Place your palm over both the ears to form a tight seal and continuously bite down sharply: 9 times concentrating on the front of the mouth, 9 times concentrating on the right side, 9 times concentrating on the left side, and 9 times concentrating on the back of the mouth to reach a total of 36 times.
- Inhale every time you bite down, and exhale when relaxing the jaw.
- Finish this exercise with restful breathing for 1 minute.
- This exercise helps in maintaining the health of the teeth, mouth and auditory canal.
Self-Acupressure to Improve Hearing
Acupressure Point 1 for Improving Hearing
Forceful Torrent Kidney 3 is an acupoint located in the depression between the Achilles tendon and the inner anklebone of the right foot. Place your right thumb on this point and apply constant pressure until you feel soreness. Hold it for 2 minutes and repeat the same on the left foot.
Acupressure Point 2 for Improving Hearing
Listening Palace small intestine-19 is an acupoint located directly in front of the right ear canal present in the depression which develops when the mouth is kept slightly open. Use index or middle finger to apply steady pressure on this point until you feel soreness. Hold it for 2 minutes and repeat the same on the left side.
What to Avoid for Improved Hearing?
- Certain antibiotics can cause temporary hearing loss, and in some cases, permanent hearing loss and should be avoided. These antibiotics include gentamicin, aminoglycosides and tobramycin.
- Aspirin overuse should be avoided as it can cause acute hearing loss.
- Certain anti-hypertensive medicines, such as a combination of hydrochlorothiazide and bisoprolol, can cause hearing loss.
- Certain diuretics, such as furosemide should be avoided especially in high doses.
- Avoid loud noise and make use of earplugs to concerts. Do not listen to your radio or television with the volume high.