There are many people suffering from hair loss or coming closer to the baldness and who actually seek for some kind of effective treatments for the hair loss. This condition of temporary/partial or complete hair loss is called as Alopecia. "Hair restoration is like a dream for their life". Now how about finding something so wondrous that would help the dream come true and the poor ones get restored with new, healthy and beautiful hairs? It is obvious a great thing! Isn't it? The sufferers usually meet with teases and taunts every now and then on their baldness or loss of hair. So, with something that an effective treatment via a surgical method called the Hair Transplantation; would help the victim restore healthy new hair. Someone suffering from excessive hair loss or temporary baldness would stop surviving with the absolutely absurd jokes from the critical people like, "Bald Bill is so bald you can see what is on his mind." So now, if you are someone who is meeting with such a problem of hair loss, then go through the following array of this article, which would help you know how to improve the condition of hair loss and how to restore your hairs via Hair transplantation. Here below is the explanation on the procedure of hair transplantation, its effectiveness, the side effects, the recovery period and the hair transplantation costs. So go ahead for a read on the same and prove the critics wrong, "Bill is no more a bald!" :D
What is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure done under local anesthesia; where there is a shift of individual hair follicle from one donor site, (that can be any other part of the body/Scalp) to the recipient site (the site of baldness). The hair follicles, which are used in the transplantation procedures are resistant to a hormone called DHT or Dihydrotestosterone. DHT is responsible for causing male baldness in body or scalp. Transplanted hair stays permanently at recipient site and do not fall because of resistant to physiological effects of DHT. Let us look at the most common type of hair transplantation procedure-
How is the Follicular Hair Unit Transplantation (FUT) Procedure Done?
- At first the scalp is shaved by the hair transplant surgeon.
- Donor site is marked with marking pain, mostly at the back of the scalp.
- Next the hair transplant patient is injected with the local anesthesia, which numbs the area of the donor skin over the scalp. The incision is taken to remove 3-5 inch strip of scalp. The skin with hair follicle embedded in to the layers of the skin is donor skin with hair.
- The two open ends of the donor skin following removal of the scalp skin is stitched together using stitches.
- Next is the step where the hair transplant surgeon divides the strips of the scalp, which are removed, into numerous tiny grafts containing individual hair. This is called the graft preparation.
- After this, the recipient site is cleaned and numbed where the prepared graft or the donor site's hair is to be placed.
- Next the recipient site is punctured, holed with the assistance of a sterilized needle.
- Now each graft is placed in the individual holes at the recipient site.
- Intense care is taken while the entire procedure of hair transplantation is being conducted under strict sterile precautions. Hair transplant surgeon meticulously inserts each graft to achieve realistic hair pattern that would make the hairs look natural.
How Long Does It Take To Recover Following Hair Transplantation?
It is obvious that the patients undergoing hair transplantation want to know how long does it take to heal the wound of hair transplant and what would be the prognosis of hair transplantation surgical procedure.
Recovery Period After Hair Transplant:
The complete procedure of hair transplant usually takes about 4 to 8 hours. However, the recovery period following hair transplantation surgery extends long and most times causes mild to moderate pain. Patients who have undergone hair transplantation surgery are prescribed analgesics for several days following surgery. Hair transplant patients are advised to wear the surgical dressing over the scalp for 2-4 days. A course of antibiotic are prescribed after the hair transplant surgery. You will be prescribed with Rogaine or the hair growing drug so as to improve the growth of hair after the hair transplantation. In about 15 days the transplanted hair falls down and new hairs comes out in about couple of months, which would remain permanently.
Hair Transplantation Prognosis:
Now coming down to the prognosis of hair transplant surgery; it can be absolutely said that the results are actually excellent and hairs are restored in few months. Hair transplant as a method of treatment achieves permanent solutions to cut off the baldness. The best thing about this surgical treatment for hair restoration is; there is no need of long term care after the restoration of hairs.
It must be noted, sometime more than one session may be essential to get the best result.
Possible Side Effects of Hair Transplantation
"There is something called Excellent; but there is nothing called Perfect in life." Hair transplantation can be an excellent treatment for hair loss; but it has some notable side effects that restrict it from being Perfect. Check out the hair transplantation side effects below.
- Swelling of the scalp or forehead is noticed.
- There may be bleeding and infection.
- Shock Loss; or the hair thinning can be sometimes be a side effect.
How Much Does Hair Transplantation Costs?
"To get something for lifelong, you surely need to invest on it!" Now coming to the cost involved in the Hair transplantation surgery; the procedure on an average costs somewhere around $4,000 to $15,000. However it always depends upon the reputation of the hospital or the nursing home where you are undergoing the surgical treatment for hair loss or Alopecia.
Anyways, investing on your image of a confident look for ever is absolutely a worth investment!
FAQ on Hair Transplantation & Its Maintenance!
Is Hair Transplantation Safe?
Yes! Though there are some minor side effects, Hair transplantation is absolutely safe. And under local anesthesia, the surgical procedure is very much comfortable.
How To Maintain The Restored Hair After The Hair Transplantation Surgery?
There is no special need of maintaining the restored hair after transplantation. You can go for the natural hair care and apply the same hair oil, shampoo and go for the natural hairstyles you used to do with your natural hairs.
What Are The Safety Precautions To Be Taken Care Off After The Hair Transplantation Surgery?
Here Below Are Few Necessary Precautions To Be Taken Care After Undergoing Hair Transplant:
- You must keep the surgical dressing over the scalp for at least two to four days after the surgery
- Do not wet scalp for 5 to 7 days.
- Your scalp gets tender after the surgery for some weeks. It is needed to take very much care and keep it protected. Along with antibiotics are to be taken.