We all love eating grapes and also the fruit have some real good health benefits. However, have you ever thought that the tiny seeds present in the grapes can also be healthy and beneficial? Yes! There are a lot of health benefits of Grape seeds. In this current article, we will study about top 7 health benefits of grape seeds and also talk about how to use the grape seeds for good health. We will also take a look on few of the side effects of the grape seeds along with the safety precautions to take care of before taking grape seeds.
Nutrients Present in Grape Seeds:
Grape seeds are known to have powerful antioxidant properties. These grape seeds contain Oligomeric proanthrocyanadin complexes which are known to be potent antioxidants. Apart from this, the grape seeds contain nutrients like Vitamin E, Linoleic acids and Flavonoids. The presence of all these nutrients in grape seed makes it a potential stuff having some of the best health benefits.
How Can the Grape Seeds Be Used?
Grape seeds can be taken primarily as grape seed oil or the grape seed extracts. Here let us talk about them.
- Grape seed oil is developed from the grape seeds, by pressing the seeds to extract the oils present in them. This oil which is extracted from the grape seed is extremely good for cooking at high temperature because it has a high smoke point of 485 F. This high smoke point in grape seed oil makes it beneficial to health. Apart from the high smoke point, the grape seed oil is also rich in Omega-6 fatty acids and is low in the saturated fats. This is known to work great in fighting against heart disease as the Omega-6 fatty acid raises the blood serum levels of HDL or the good cholesterol that help in fighting against the heart disease.
- Grape seed extracts are produced by extracting the compounds from the grape seeds that are the bi-products of wine and juice manufacturing. These grape seed extracts have various health benefits and with a proper consultation with the doctor, can be taken on regular basis in prescribed dosages. It is believed that taking 25 milligram to 125 milligrams of the grape seed extracts thrice a day can work as a great antioxidant. It is essential to consult and take the grape seed extracts as directed by the doctor. There are certain conditions, where you need to avoid taking grape seeds or the grape seed extracts which we will be talking in the following sections.
NOTE: Though, grapes make a healthy and safe snack for the children, Grape seed extracts are not recommended for the children.
Top 7 Health Benefits of Grape Seeds:
Here below we will be discussing on the top 7 health benefits of grape seeds.
Benefits of Grape Seed on Skin Health: Grape seeds are greatly important for improving the skin health. The antioxidant properties of grape seeds make it beneficial for fighting against various skin conditions including the inflammatory acne, premature wrinkling of skin, psoriasis etc.
Grape Seeds are Beneficial in Fighting against Certain Cancer: Grape seeds are also known for their beneficial properties in fighting against cancer. In one animal study, it was found that the grape seed extracts provided protection against UV-induced photo carcinogenesis by reducing the tumor incidence, size of the tumor, tumor multiplicity etc and also by preventing the transformation of UVB-induced paillomas to malignant carcinomas. One more study done on mice also found that the grape seed proanthocyanidins were proved beneficial in reducing azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis by inducing apoptosis.
Beneficial Anti-Oxidant Properties of Grape Seeds: The grape seeds comprises of flavonoids which includes gallic acid, catechin epicatechin, gallocatechin, epigallocatechin, epicatechin 3-O-gallate, and primarily the Oligomeric proanthocyanidins. It is found in research that the anti-oxidant properties of Proanthocyanidins is 20 times greater than Vitamin E and 50 times greater than vitamin C. This strong antioxidant property of grape seed had attracted the supplement manufacturers towards processing the grape seeds in to pills and capsules.
Now, this anti-oxidant property of grape seed make it a beneficial health supplement as antioxidants help in protecting your body from signs of premature aging, poor cardiovascular health, poor vision, skin diseases, asthma etc.
Benefits of Grape Seeds in Fat Loss: Grape seeds are known to be effective in fat loss. They can be used in treating or reducing the dietary fat absorption and the fat accumulation within the body.
Benefits of Grape Seeds in Treating Depression: In the year 2010, a team of International scientists from China and United States of America published that the proanthocyanidins in grape seeds help in improving the mental health conditions. Studies on mice were shown that Proanthocanidins exert antidepressant-like effects in mice. So, it can be taken as a beneficial health supplement for treating depression.
Benefits of Grape Seeds in Reducing Cardiovascular Disease Conditions: The results of studies conducted to evaluate the cardiovascular health benefits of the grape seed extracts in animals and human beings have been extremely promising. Grape seeds have been beneficial in reducing the heart attack, controlling tachycardia and also in providing protection against cardiotoxicity due to drug doxorubicin. Grape seeds are known to reduce oxidized LDL cholesterol levels and also in reducing biomarkers of early stage atherosclerosis.
Grape Seeds are Beneficial in Reducing Leg Swelling: The proanthocyanidins present in grape seeds have been found to be beneficial in improving the blood circulation by strengthening arteries, veins and capillaries. Grape seed acts as a wonderful varicose vein busting diet. One study has found that grape seed extract is able to reduce the leg swelling in women caused due to prolonged sitting.
Apart from all these above mentioned benefits; there are few other benefits of grape seeds which include the benefits in treating diabetes, treating hemorrhoids, improving night vision, asthma, edema etc.
Risks or Side Effects of Eating Grape Seeds:
They say, “Nothing comes without its side effects”. There are some side effects of the grape seed extracts which must be taken in to account while taking them. Below are some of the side effects of Grape Seeds.
- Usually grape seeds are safe. However, there may be certain side effects of the grape seed extracts which may include headache, nausea, dizziness, itchy scalp etc.
- Sometimes some people may get allergic reactions like hives, rashes, swelling of face, mouth, temperature of legs or arms etc with the grape seed extracts.
- People taking certain medicines, especially the blood thinners, pain killers, cancer medicines, medicines for heart conditions etc must consult with doctor before taking the grape seeds; as they may interact with the medicines and cause some hazardous risks to the health.
NOTE: In case overdose or any reaction due to the grape seeds have been suspected; it is essential for you to immediately contact the American Association of Poison Control centers at 1800-222-1222.
Safety Precautions to be Maintained Before Taking Grape Seeds:
You need to maintain certain precautions before taking the grape seeds. Have a look at the following list containing the various points of considerations before using grape seeds.
- Avoid taking grape seed extracts in case of pregnancy or in case of nursing phase
- In case you are taking any medicines, like pain killers, blood thinners, cancer medicines etc; try not taking the grape seed extracts, as it may be risky.
- Talk to a health professional before taking the grape seed extract.
- It is essential to follow the proper dose to keep away from any side effects or any health risks.
- Do avoid grape seed extract if you are allergic to any ingredient present in the grape seed.
- In case you have circulation problem and in case you find your symptoms are getting worse with grape seed extract, make sure you take an immediate medical help.
How much grape seed extract should be taken?
Though there are no firmly established dosages for grape seed extract, yet 100 to 300 milligrams per day have been used in the studies and also prescribed in some countries.
Where does the grape seed extract naturally come from?
Grape seed extract comes from the grape fruit.
How to properly store the grape seeds?
It is essential to store the grape seeds at room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light. It is also essential to keep the grape seed out of reach of children and pets.
- 9 Seeds That You Should Be Eating, Know their Nutritional Value & Health Benefits
- Health Benefits of Jackfruit and Jackfruit Seeds
- Health Benefits of Kalonji Seeds or Nigella Seeds & Side Effects
- Health Benefits of Methi or Fenugreek Seeds & its Side Effects
- Poppy Seeds Benefits for Hair, Skin, Sleep and Others
- Health Benefits of Moringa Seeds & Ways to Use it
- Can Eating Tomatoes or its Seeds Cause Kidney Stones?
- Healthy Seeds to Eat: 10 Seeds to Include in the Diet For Good Health
- 17 Amazing Health Benefits of Black Seeds or Nigella Sativa