Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Sexual dysfunction in women is a common problem as women in general are prone to various physical and mental illnesses in their lives more than men. Problems related to sexual desire, sexual response, orgasm or pain may lead to stress and discord between you and your partner. That further leads to straining of the relationship between the two since it prevents the couple from experiencing satisfaction during the sexual activity.
Causes of Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Various causes responsible for sexual dysfunction in women are mentioned as:
- Numerous physical causes are responsible for sexual dysfunction in women. Diabetes, Cardio problems, Neurological disorders, hormone imbalances, liver failure, kidney problems, drug abuse, menopause and also the side effects of certain medications result into various problems related to sexual function in women.
- Psychological causes like stress and anxiety are the main causes of sexual dysfunction in women. Various mental pressures caused at work place, at home or even relationship problems lead to immense tension and worries in contemporary times due to changing life styles that adversely affect the sexual life in women.
Symptoms of Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Following are the symptoms that confirm that one is suffering from sexual dysfunction in women:
- Lack of sexual desire is the primary symptom of sexual dysfunction in women. You feel inhibitions towards sexual activities with your partner. The monotonous sexual routine leads to boredom resulting into lack of enthusiasm for sex.
- The arousal problem is the most common symptom of sexual dysfunction in women where you feel unable to get physically aroused during any sexual activity. It is due to insufficient vaginal lubrication resulting from any kind of stress, anxiety or inadequate stimulation.
- The lack of orgasm i.e., absence of sexual climax is another symptom of problems related to sexual function in women. The inhibition, inexperience, improper knowledge, anxiety, fear and stress may be the cause of anorgasmia.
- Pain during sexual intercourse happens due to endometriosis, ovarian cysts, vaginitis, inadequate vaginal lubrication etc… that may lead to even a kind of sexual phobia in women.
Tests to Diagnose Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Various tests to diagnose the problem of sexual dysfunction in women are given below:
- Pelvic test is done to diagnose sexual dysfunction in women to examine the physical changes that affect your sexual enjoyment like thinning of genital tissues, inefficient skin elasticity, scars or pain.
- Another way to diagnose sexual dysfunction in women is by counseling. During the counseling session, the counselor may come to know about sexual history or current issues, so that an effective approach can be adopted to treat the problem.
Treatment for Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Given are various treatments mentioned for treating sexual dysfunction in women: Nonmedical treatment and medication.
Nonmedical treatment for sexual dysfunction in women that does not make use of medications are:
- Communication is the best way to treat sexual dysfunction in women. Talking with your partner open heartedly and listening to them attentively builds a strong understanding between you. It removes the relationship problems and decreases mental tensions and stress.
- Adopt healthy life style is another way to treat. Say no to drugs and alcohol. Practice healthy life style that boosts your energy and elevates your mood to such an extent that you enjoy sexual activities with your partner.
- Seek advice from your therapist or counselor. Talk openly about your problems related to sex and relationship with your partner and seek advice for strengthening your intimacy.
- Another way to treat sexual dysfunction in women is to use lubricant or device. To remove vaginal dryness, you may use a lubricant and for enhancing arousal try a device.
Medications are also used to treat sexual dysfunction in women. There are various treatments based on medication prescribed by the medical practitioners for addressing problem of sexual dysfunction in women. They are:
- Estrogen therapy reduces the problem related to sexual function in women by enhancing the tone and elasticity of the vagina and increases vaginal blood flow. It improves vaginal lubrication and thus, no pain during sexual activity.
- Androgen therapy for treating sexual dysfunction in women is a hormonal therapy that deals with balancing of the level of sexual hormones in females under close supervision of the doctor.
Home Remedies for Sexual Dysfunction in Women
At home too, you may try number of remedies to get rid of problems related to sexual dysfunction in women:
- Foreplay, different sex positions, communicating your needs and desires induce deep intimacy and help removing problems related to sex.
- Masturbation with the help of vibrator, sensual massage, music, fragrances, candle lights etc… are various pleasurable activities that reduce stress and let you enjoy sexual activities with your partner.
- Exercises, yoga and meditation are the best remedies to reduce problems of sexual dysfunction in women.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Healing time or recovery period for sexual dysfunction in women depends upon your willingness to accept the problem and follow the advice of the counselor and the physician and do all what is been instructed and have trust in the treatment. Then, it hardly takes any time to get rid of the problem of sexual dysfunction in women.
Prevention of Sexual Dysfunction in Women
There are many ways that help preventing sexual dysfunction in women are mentioned as under:
- Take care of your physical health by taking healthy diet and following healthy lifestyle and adopting good habits.
- Take care of your emotional health by communicating things to others and by leading stress free life style.
- You may practice yoga and meditation that is good for peace of mind.
- Talk regularly with your partner and discuss your needs and desires and listen patiently to them too.
Risk Factors for Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Given below are the various factors that may increase the risk of sexual dysfunction in women:
- The changing monotonous, mechanical life style induces lot of anxiety and stress leading to problems related to sexual activities in women.
- Problems into any relation at home may lead to emotional imbalance or psychological trauma that increases the risks of sexual dysfunction in women.
- If the woman is suffering from any cardiovascular disease, kidney related problem, neurological problem or even liver malfunctioning then she is more prone to problems related to sexual activities with the partner.
- Any kind of drug abuse or usage of certain antidepressants may increase the risks of sexual dysfunction in women.
- If there is any history of sexual abuse then one is more prone to sexual dysfunction.
Lifestyle Changes for Sexual Dysfunction in Women
Various healthy changes in the life style lead to reducing the problems of sexual dysfunction in women.
- You should avoid taking alcohol as it inhibits the sexual responsiveness and smoking lowers down the blood flow inside the body. The sexual organs receive less blood and results in low sexual arousal and orgasmic response.
- Another good lifestyle change is to do some regular exercises that make you active and energetic and thus help elevating your mood too.
- Take out some time from your routine for yourself and your partner and enjoy some relaxing playful time together that strengthens your bond as well relaxes your mind from the stressful routine.
Coping with Sexual Dysfunction in Women
The best way to cope with sexual dysfunction in women is by:
- Understanding yourself, your body, desires and needs and according to it pamper yourself so as to have maximum pleasure during sexual activities with your partner.
- Another way to cope with sexual dysfunction in women is by reading educational and informative material related with various body issues and related problems and be aware of how to get rid of any such problem.
- Have great bonding and intimacy with your partner at all levels- emotional, physical, mental and spiritual.