Health Benefits of Jaljeera and its Side Effects
What is Jaljeera?
Cumin water commonly known as Jaljeera is a nutritional and refreshing drink usually taken in all parts of India during the summer season. Jaljeera is made with the cumin seeds powder and is very helpful in cooling the body. The taste of this wonderful drink is very relishing and in various parts of India raw mango powder, black salt, ginger, and lemon are generally added to jaljeera to enhance its taste. Jal jeera is generally served as an appetizer before lunch or dinner.
Health Benefits of Jaljeera
The various health benefits of having jaljeera water include:
- Jaljeera Helps in Boosting the Digestion Process: In jaljeera generally, black salt is added which is very useful in fighting against the intestinal gas. It is an amazing way to keep the body cool and helps the person to rehydrate. It also helps in enhancing the metabolism and keeping the digestive system in track. Jaljeera assists in stimulating the secretion of carbohydrate, glucose and fat breaking enzymes. It, thus, helps in combating various digestive problems including diarrhea, nausea, chronic dysentery, flatulence, malabsorption syndrome, atonic dyspepsia, morning sickness, etc. That is the reason why this drink is considered as a splendid drink and is mostly taken in the hotter climate.
- Jaljeera Assists in Preventing Heartburn: Cumin seeds have gas-relieving properties that help in preventing the common digestive problem like heartburn. Jaljeera water is thus very useful in facilitating the ejection of gas from the gastrointestinal tract. This helps in preventing the heartburn.
- Jaljeera Helps in Removing Toxic: Drinking of Jaljeera water regularly is also beneficial for the liver and stomach. There are certain antioxidants that are present in cumin seeds which help in removing the toxic material from the human body. This helps in promoting the regular activities of the essential organs of our body including liver and kidney. Apart from this, drinking jaljeera water can also help in the production of bile in the liver which ultimately helps in preventing acidity, bloating, abdominal gas, etc.
- Jaljeera Helps in Boosting the Immune System: Cumin seeds present in jaljeera are rich in iron and iron plays an essential role in maintaining the proper functioning of the immune system. A teaspoonful of cumin powder contains 1.3 mg of iron and as such taking jaljeera water regularly means consuming an adequate amount of iron. This will definitely boost the immune system. Apart from that an adequate amount of Vitamin A and Vitamin C is also present in cumin seeds which are rich with many antioxidant benefits. That is the reason drinking jaljeera water regularly can help you in boosting your immune system and staying away from the various type of immune disease.
- Health Benefits of Jaljeera in Treating Anemia: Since an abundant amount of iron is present in cumin seeds, it is very helpful in treating a patient having anemia. A regular drink of jaljeera water helps in forming the red blood corpuscles and enhancing the amount of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin. That is the reason why jaljerra plays a very essential role in fighting against the acute iron deficiency which is the main cause of anemia.
- Health Benefits of Jaljeera for Skin Nourishment: Cumin seeds are rich in essential nutrient including calcium, potassium, copper, selenium, manganese, etc. which is very vital for keeping the soft, supple and smooth skin. So, Jaljeera helps in staying nourished and maintaining healthy skin. That is the reason why every dermatologist advices to take jaljeera or cumin water regularly during the summer season.
Apart from these benefits consuming jaljeera regularly can also help in improving my memory, getting better sleep, enhance the respiratory system, etc. Though consuming Jaljeera has enormous health benefits yet consuming jaljeera regularly has certain side effect.
Side Effect of Jaljeera
There are some side effects of Jaljeera which cannot be ignored. The following are some side effect of Jaljeera:
- Cumin seeds contain oil which is highly volatile and which can damage the liver and kidney. So, taking a huge amount of jaljeera water is not good for health.
- During pregnancy, jaljeera or cumin water can produce an abortifacient effect on a woman which can lead to miscarriage or can induce labor. That is the reason why a pregnant woman should avoid this drink.
- Taking a huge amount of jaljeera water can lead to side effects like mental clouding, drowsiness, and nausea due to the narcotic properties present in the cumin seeds. Consuming jaljeera water regularly can cause side effects like heavy bleeding during menstruation in women. So, jaljeera should be avoided during the period of menstruation.
- A regular consumption of Jaljeera can lower the blood pressure level of a person, especially after a surgery. So, the person who had a surgery should avoid drinking Jaljeera as it is very essential to maintain the blood sugar level after the surgery.
- Cumin water is also not good for the lactating women as it may lead to less milk production.
- Jaljeera can also lead to excessive belching with bad odor and sounds which at times can be very embarrassing.
Jaljeera has both positive and negative effects. However, its benefits are comparatively more than its side-effects. It can be made a part of everyday drink but should be taken in moderate quantity like half-glass or one small cup a day. On regular use, it can keep the body protected from many minor and major health problems.