Sparkling white teeth are magnetic. They always grab attention and add to a person’s beauty. So, it is very important to take proper care of the teeth. But the teeth still tend to get affected by plaque and tartar which steal their shine. However, apart from dental products, there are several home remedies to get rid of tartar from your teeth. Let us know more about these home remedies.
Get Rid of Tartar on Teeth With These 7 Home Remedies
Tartar, also called calculus, is a hard yellow deposit on the teeth, made of calcium carbonate, food, and mineral salts. When plaque remains on the teeth for a prolonged period, it hardens and transforms into tartar. Even if one takes good care of their teeth, some bacteria remain in their mouth which causes tartar formation, and can eventually lead to cavities and tooth decay. When tartar is present above the gum line, it can be harmful as the bacteria can damage the gums and lead to further complications.
The most common sign of tartar is the presence of a yellow or brown deposit between the teeth or at the gum line. Bacteria grow in the mouth after eating food or drinking due to the sugars and carbohydrates present in the food.
Wondering how do you remove tartar from your teeth at home? Some of the most easy and effective home remedies to get rid of tartar from your teeth include:
- Baking soda is one of the most effective home remedies to remove tartar from your teeth. A mix of 2 tbsp of baking soda with 1 tbsp of salt should be combined with toothpaste and used to brush the teeth. Baking soda proves helpful in neutralizing acids in the mouth and, in brightening and whitening the teeth.
- The pulp extracted from a fresh aloe vera leaf should be rubbed on the teeth and left for 10 minutes before rinsing the mouth with water. Because of its antimicrobial properties, Aloe vera effectively eliminates the bacteria which causes tartar. As aloe vera is one of the best home remedies to get rid of tartar from your teeth, it also helps to fight bad breath.
- Washed and cleaned guava leaves should be chewed and spitted out. Unripe guava with a little bit of salt sprinkled on it, should also be eaten. Guava has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve gum problems, and reduce swelling and pain in the gums. In addition to being one of the most effective home remedies to remove tartar from your teeth, chewing guava leaf also helps to control gum diseases.
- Cloves contain the chemical called eugenol which offers excellent natural antiseptic and anesthetic properties. Hence, ground cloves, which are great home remedies to remove tartar from your teeth have been used to ease toothaches for thousands of years. 1 tbsp of clove powder and some olive oil should be mixed together and applied on the teeth, and left for a few minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. Cloves help to fight the microbes in the mouth that cause tartar.
- Vinegar too, is a great home remedy to get rid of tartar from your teeth. A mixture of 2 tbsp of white vinegar, and 1 tbsp of salt in ½ cup of warm water should be used every day to rinse the mouth.
- Rosemary essential oil displays powerful antibacterial properties which help in curing dental problems and can be used as a home remedy to remove tartar from your teeth. The mouth should be rinsed with a mix of 2 drops of rosemary essential oil in 1 tbsp of coconut oil or water, 2 times a day, for deriving these dental benefits.
- Black tea contains fluoride which can suppress the growth of bacteria that cause dental decay, tartar and plaque. The mouth should be rinsed with lukewarm black tea to keep it clean and to remove tartar from your teeth. A tea bag of black tea should be put in a cup of hot water and allowed to brew for 6 minutes. This will let the maximum amount of fluoride escape into the water. The tea bag should be squeezed into the water before being discarded, to get even the last little bit of fluoride. This tea rinse should especially be used after eating sweets to prevent plaque buildup.
How to Prevent Tartar Formation on your Teeth?
Some tips which can be used to keep the mouth clean and free from tartar are:
- Eating cheese before meals can help to neutralize the acids which lead to tartar formation.
- Brushing regularly twice a day for around 2 minutes each time can prove very beneficial. One should brush properly to even reach the difficult corners of the mouth and clean them well.
- No matter how much one brushes but it is just not enough to get rid of tartar without dental floss. So it is extremely important to floss regularly to remove tartar.
- Vitamin C rich strawberries and tomatoes can be used to soften the tartar and keep the teeth white. These can be rubbed on the teeth and left for 5 minutes before washing off.
Most importantly, make use of these home remedies to remove tartar from your teeth, which can also prevent tartar formation and keep your mouth clean.