Osteoarthritis is a progressive joint disease affecting the knees, joints and hip bones. Osteoarthritis is most likely to increase in number in these countries due to the aging population and obesity complications.
During this condition, the healthy bones rub against each other and produce irritation and inflammation. This eventually results in the shock of physical movements and osteoarthritis patients tend to feel swelling, pain, and loss of motion of the joint.
Although several medical treatments can help and ease the symptoms, some home remedies and lifestyle modifications are known to be very helpful in managing the symptoms.
Home Remedies For Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is common in weight-bearing joints and gradually progresses over months or years. OS will neither make you feel sick or fatigue except for a few discomforts like pain and stiffness on your muscles. Medical drugs can help to treat osteoarthritis and surgical treatment is recommended for severe conditions.
However, there are simple ways with which you can ease your symptoms:
Hot & Cold packs – Hot pack, hot shower, and heating pads can relax muscles and relieve muscle and joint relief. Heat and cold therapy are effective for moderate to severe osteoarthritis. Evidence shows that hot tub water therapy can lower extremities in patients experiencing arthritis pain. Similarly, a cold pack can numb the sore area and reduce inflammation and pain.
Maintain A Healthy Weight – Obesity is strongly associated and perhaps a leading factor of osteoarthritis. In a study conducted by the University of Michigan, the research showed extra body fat can cause or worsen this condition. Being overweight increases, the load placed on the joints also increases and results in the breakdown of cartilage muscles. At least a reduction of 5-10% body weight can effectively reduce joint pain. You can maintain a healthy weight when you follow a healthy diet with being physically active.1,2
Herbs And Supplements – In a 2010 study, the NCCIH found that green tea found some cure in osteoarthritis patients. The anti-inflammatory properties called polyphenols are present in green tea. This is an effective compound used to treat inflammations and provide increased cartilage protection. Similarly, certain herbs and supplements such as pepper, ginger, turmeric are said to contain constituents that are good for osteoarthritis.3
Foods To Reduce Inflammation – Anti-inflammatory diets primarily discourage eating processed foods and encourage eating healthy and fresh fruits & vegetables, beans, grain and foods containing omega 3 fatty acids.
Patients who followed these remedies showed improvements immediately or up to 6 months or later
Is Osteoarthritis A Dangerous Condition?
Osteoarthritis is a condition that is brought on either aging or a long term over usage of the joint muscles. Although it causes crippling in rare instances but in several patients, it can significantly impact their life.
Most patients with Osteoarthritis suffer from one or more long-lasting diseases particularly cardiometabolic syndrome (a condition in which the possibilities of developing heart-related disorders are higher due to loss of glucose tolerance, hypertension, and central adiposity).
Osteoarthritis associated with joint pain often results in low quality of life, insufficient sleep, tiredness and exhaustion, depressed feeling and a sense of dependency. Since this is a progressive condition and there is no cure to stop the deterioration, sometimes it can be severe.
Progression may take 4 years or more to worsen and patients with advanced pain are highly recommended for corticosteroid injections to reduce swelling, hyaluronic IV’s to cushion the knees, electrical nerve stimulation and acupuncture for pain relief. When there is damage in any one side of the knee, the doctor may suggest surgery.4,5
- How can natural remedies help osteoarthritis (OA)? – WebMD https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/qa/how-can-natural-remedies-help-osteoarthritis-oa
- 13 Natural Osteoarthritis Treatments | Everyday Health https://www.everydayhealth.com/osteoarthritis-pictures/natural-osteoarthritis-treatments.aspx
- 11 effective home remedies for arthritis – Medical News Today https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324446
- Is osteoarthritis a serious disease? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31621562
- Everything You Should Know About Advanced Osteoarthritis https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/advanced-osteoarthritis
- Osteoarthritis or Wear and Tear Arthritis: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment- Surgery
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (Chronic Inflammation of Joints): Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Surgery
- Stages and Progression of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Exercising With Arthritis
- Self-Care Tips For Osteoarthritis Patients
- Diet Plan for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Can Rheumatoid Arthritis Be Cured Completely?|Treatment Options For Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Massage Therapy For Osteoarthritis: Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage, Cross Friction Massage