Boils are the pus-filled lumps which are a result of blocked hair follicles or glands. Boils can occur anywhere in the body but the occurrence is commonest in the pubic region. They mostly begin with skin irritation which becomes infected with the bacteria living on the skin. A severely infected boil is drained by the doctor using a sterile needle. Knowing about the treatment and home remedies for boils in pubic area can help in managing the condition better.
There are various reasons which lead to irritation or development of boils in pubic area.
- Contact Dermatitis. It is a skin infection with occurs when the skin comes in contact with anything which it is allergic to such as tampons, condoms, detergents, sanitary pads, deodorants, lotions or certain sexual arousal stimulants. The skin might also get irritated by perspiration, urine, semen, or vaginal discharge. Dermatitis can further lead to the formation of boils after getting infected with bacteria.
- Folliculitis. It is the infection of the hair follicles due to the bacteria. Shaving is the major cause of boils in the pubic region. It leads to the growth of the hair back towards the skin.
- Infection of Bartholin Gland. Bartholin glands are located under the skin near the vaginal opening. They become blocked forming a cyst. These cysts, if it gets infected, lead to boil in the pubic region in females.
- Oily Skin. Those with oily skin and thicker growth of hair are more at risk of getting oils in pubic area.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections. Sexually transmitted infections also pose a risk of causing boil in the pubic region.
Boils are more prone in people with chronic infections, diabetes or cancer.1
Treatment and Home Remedies for Boils in Pubic Area
While medical treatments are effective, they must be taken only as advised. However, some people prefer natural treatment options. Here are some treatments and home remedies for boils in pubic area.
Applying warmth to the boil is the easiest way to drain the pus from the boil. Warmth builds pressure which draws out blood and discharge to the surface of the skin.
Regular application blasts open the boil and drains it. This is one of the most popular treatment and home remedies for build in pubic area.
Keep the Area Clean
Wash the boil with antibacterial soap and keep it dry. Dry the area with a soft and gentle washcloth. Do not rub or touch the boil. Wash hands before and after cleaning the boil.
Wear Breathable Underwear
The cloth used for underwear should be clean and should be made of a breathable material. Avoid wearing tight underwear which would rub against the boil and inflame it further.
Over the Counter Pain Relievers
Boils are painful due to the infection present. Medications that help relieve pain and control infection, may be given used. While over-the-counter anti-inflammatories are available, it is best to seek medical advice for the most appropriate treatment.
Home Remedies for Boils in Pubic Area
Turmeric. Turmeric with its anti-inflammatory properties battles the organism causing the disease and also manages the swelling. This make Turmeric an excellent home remedy for the boil in the pubic area to heal faster. It can be applied in the form of a paste on the boil and also can be taken with milk.
Garlic. Garlic has antibacterial properties, it ripens the boil and helps drain the pus in it. It is known as one of the effective home remedies for boils in pubic area. Clean the area around the boil and apply fresh garlic juice on it regularly. Make sure the pus which comes out does not spread to other areas of the skin as it might spread the infection.
Tea Tree Oil. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial and heals the boil in the pubic area quickly. Take a few drops of the oil and press it on the boil. This can be repeated several times a day.
Onion. Onion helps in naturally healing the boil because it contains antiseptic properties. Slice the onion and place it on the boil. Cover the area with a cloth. Change the slice after four hours.
Milk Cream. Milk cream is a very effective home treatment for boils. Mix one teaspoon of milk cream, with a half teaspoon of vinegar and turmeric. This helps in healing skin infection.
These treatments and home remedies for boils in pubic area are available. However, it is best to seek medical advice for troublesome or recurrent boils in pubic area or when boils are associated with other problems.