Anxiety refers to a sensation or feeling of unease, nervousness or worry. This feeling is characteristically seen in an absence of impending threat. Anxiety is very different from fear, which is seen as our body’s natural response to an immediate danger or threat.
How Can I Stop Anxiety At Night?
Anxiety at night can be a cause of worry. However, it can be treated in several ways. Some of the methods suggested here can alleviate your anxiety at night.
Almost all of us experience anxiety at some or the other time in our lives. However, sometimes this anxiety may loiter around for a bit longer than it should usually. If this situation arises, it may interfere significantly with your daily routine and sometimes your night-time life too.
Night is one of the commonest times that people experience anxiety. Studies have linked loss of adequate sleep or sleep deprivation to anxiety. Yet other studies show that anxiety is related to loss of sleep or sleep deprivation.
Treating anxiety can take time. Also, the treatment protocol may be different for different persons according to the signs and symptoms that they present with.
Considering this, your doctor may turn to different approaches or options so as to find the right kind of treatment for you.
Broadly, the treatment protocol may consist of the following options-
- Treating any underlying medical condition
- Alternative medicine
- Lifestyle changes
Let us have a look at each one of these in detail.
Treating Any Underlying Medical Condition-
- Many medical conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, heart problems, irritable bowel syndrome, acute pain, brain tumors etc. can cause night-time anxiety in many people
- If you are suffering from any of these, your doctor will first want to attend to these
- Treating these diseases may relieve you of your anxiety symptoms
- Psychotherapy can be given in many forms and there are many forms that can provide a relief in anxiety
- A method called cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT is a form that inspires changing the thought patterns to improve the mood and behavior
- CBT is one of the most engrained methods of psychotherapy for the treatment of anxiety
- In some cases, anxiety may need to be treated with both psychotherapy and medicines
- Benzodiazepines are most commonly used for acute anxiety attacks, whereas for long-term anxiety disorders antidepressants are used
- Alternative medicine may be another option for night-time anxiety
- Though there is not enough research to establish a confirmation, both natural and herbal supplements are worth trying as anxiety treatment options
- It is better to talk with your doctor though, if you want to try any of these natural and herbal supplements
Lifestyle Changes For Anxiety At Night
- Meditation refers to practicing mindfulness
- Even a single session of meditation can benefit you in reducing your anxiety
- It is a good idea to meditate for a little while before you go to sleep at night, to see reduction in your night-time anxiety
- Deep breathing can help in slowing your heart rate down and improving your blood pressure
- It is good to practice some deep breathing before you go to sleep at night-both if you are experiencing an anxiety attack or otherwise
Healthy Sleep Habits-
- Establishing healthy sleep habits can be a sure way of easing anxiety at nights
- Being happy and comfortable in your sleeping room can help in improving your quality of sleep, eventually easing your anxiety at night
- Yes. If you are experiencing a night-time anxiety, you will surely benefit from exercising in the late afternoon, as it can make you tired and a bit sleepy
- This will eventually improve your sleeping habits and reduce your night-time anxiety
- Stimulants like caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes can make your anxiety symptoms worse
- It is good to avoid them before going to bed
- Same is true with electronics as well
- How Is Anxiety Disorder Linked To Chronic Pain?
- How To Get Rid Of Chest Pain Due To Anxiety?
- Can Watching Television Trigger Anxiety?
- Yoga as a Treatment Option for Anxiety Disorders
- Alternative Treatment Options for Anxiety Disorders
- Worry and Anxiety: Self Help Tips to Stop Worrying and Reduce Anxiety
- Social Media Anxiety Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery Tips