Compulsive sexual behavior disorder is a condition in which a person cannot control sexual thoughts and desires. It severely affects the person’s physical and mental health and also casts a negative impact on his work and personal relationships and various other areas of life.(1)
What Happens To Untreated Compulsive Sexual Behaviour Disorder?
Untreated compulsive sexual behavior may cause many complications. These may include the following-
- You may suffer from wrecked self-respect, feelings of remorse and embarrassment or shame
- You may develop depression, anxiety, severe distress, suicidal tendencies, and other mental and emotional health conditions
- You may destroy or compromise meaningful relationships in your life, by lying to your partner or hiding something from him/her
- You may compromise and risk your job and work relationships if you go to the extent of engaging in sexual activities like searching porn material at work
- You may lose your focus at work and family alike
- You may risk your financial well-being by indulging in purchasing porn material
- You may risk getting infected with various sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, hepatitis, etc. if you change multiple partners and without using proper protection. You may pass the infection on to your partner, risking his/her health too
- You may resort to substance abuse or excessive alcohol consumption. Substance abuse and compulsive sexual behavior feed each other and therefore, may form a vicious cycle which might get difficult to break, resulting in mental and physical deterioration
- You may even face jail-time for indulging in sexual offenses(1)
When Should You Visit A Doctor For Compulsive Sexual Behaviour Disorder?
- You must seek medical advice immediately if you feel you are losing control over your sexual desires. You must not delay, especially if you see that your behavior is a cause for your distress or for other people. This condition may intensify over time. It is advisable to seek treatment immediately when you first sense there could be a problem.
- You must go to a doctor if you feel you cannot manage your sexual inclinations
- Also, if you feel distressed with your sexual behavior, it might be time to go see the doctor
- If you see that your sexual behavior is wrecking your personal as well as work relationships, your career, it might be time that you seek medical attention
- If you feel the need to hide your sexual behavior, it surely suggests a need for professional assistance
- If you feel you are going to harm someone with your behavior, consider it an alarm and seek medical help immediately, without any delay
- If you feel like attempting suicide, this definitely calls for help.
- You may feel it difficult to seek medical help at the beginning, because of various factors like shame, guilt etc. However, you need to look at the bigger picture, which is the restoration of your self-esteem, damaged relationships and freedom from this condition
- It helps to know that there are others who suffer from this same disorder as you. And professionals in this field are discreet so that your identity is safe. Make sure to find yourself the right therapist, though.(1)
Treatment of compulsive sexual behavior disorder-
- The treatment mainly aims at reducing the symptoms or desires in this condition and on improving your physical and mental health.
- The treatment regimen may comprise of psychotherapy, medications and self-help aspects.
- Your therapist is the best person to guide you as to what treatment plan will suit you best.(2)
Compulsive sexual behavior disorder needs to be treated. It cannot go away on its own. If left untreated, it can worsen over time. It can affect your physical and mental health negatively and can compromise your work and personal relationships. It is necessary to go to a doctor when you first start seeing signs of trouble.
- Coping Methods For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
- Lifestyle Changes For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
- Is Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder A Progressive Disease & Alternative Treatments For It?
- What Are The Ways To Prevent Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder & Does It Reoccur?
- Can You Die Because Of Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder?
- How Does Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder Affect The Body & What Triggers It?
- Best Exercises/Activities For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder