The compulsive sexual disorder is also known as sex addiction. This term is used to describe an extreme obsession with sexual daydreams, desires and behavior. This behavior makes you distressed, causes a negative impact on your health and affects your job, relationships and other parts of your life adversely.(1,2)
Is Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder A Serious Condition?
Compulsive sexual behavior disorder can deteriorate your health, physically and mentally, to a great extent. It is difficult to control disorder and may impact your job, relationship and various other parts of your life. It may also cause disturbances in other people’s lives along with yours. This condition if left untreated, can damage your self-respect, career and health.
Can Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder Be Reversed?
Compulsive sexual behavior disorder may need intense or aggressive treatment at first. It may also require ongoing treatment for years to come so that relapse can be avoided. The reversal of the disorder may be possible if the treatment is followed religiously. However, it may be difficult at times. The treatment will surely help in reducing the symptoms though and improve your physical and mental health. The exact causes of compulsive sexual behavior disorder are not known. However, some of the speculated causes include-
Chemical Imbalance In The Brain- Some of the brain chemicals like dopamine and serotonin help in regulating your mood. Elevated levels of these chemicals may be responsible for compulsive sexual behavior
Changes In The Brain – This disorder over time may lead to changes in the brain’s neural corridors. As is the case with other obsessions, more intense sexual content is needed by the brain to get some relief, thus making the condition worse
Brain Conditions- Some problems like dementia, epilepsy may lead to damage to that area of the brain that is associated with sexual behavior. The medication used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease may also be responsible for causing compulsive sexual behavior disorder.(1)
The cause for this condition is not known. Hence, it is quite difficult to prevent this condition. However, some tips when followed may help in keeping such disorders at bay. These may include-
- If you see any problems with your sexual behavior, you must seek medical help immediately, so that the problems can be controlled, and the progress of the disorder can be arrested. This will help in preventing problems like a sense of shame, guilt and low self- respect before they arise.
- If you have any other mental health problem like depression, anxiety etc. you must seek medical help for it immediately. Compulsive sexual behavior may get worsened due to these problems
- If you do alcohol or substance abuse, it is necessary to seek help to curb this habit. Substance abuse can cause a lack of judgment and prompt you to indulge in inappropriate sexual behavior.
- Avoid such places, areas or situations wherein you will risk your or other people’s health by indulging in risky sexual activities(1)
Compulsive sexual behavior disorder becomes a cause of concern, especially when left untreated. It can wreak havoc on your physical as well as mental health. It can lead to a low self- respect, a feeling of guilt and shame in you. It can also affect your work and personal relationships in an extremely negative way. Compulsive sexual behavior disorder needs treatment, which can be quite aggressive at the beginning. Also, it may require continued treatment for a few more years, to ensure that the disorder does not relapse. It is difficult to reverse this disorder without any treatment. With proper and early treatment, compulsive sexual behavior disorder can be reversed, and your physical and mental health can be improved.
- Coping Methods For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
- Lifestyle Changes For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder
- Is Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder A Progressive Disease & Alternative Treatments For It?
- What Are The Ways To Prevent Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder & Does It Reoccur?
- Can You Die Because Of Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder?
- How Does Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder Affect The Body & What Triggers It?
- Best Exercises/Activities For Compulsive Sexual Behavior Disorder