Dark circles are a very common occurrence in individuals and black patches under your eyes not only invite unwanted questions, they also lower your self-confidence and make you feel insecure. Our lifestyle ways are such that dark circles have become an everyday reality – no one is exempted from them. Excessive stress, lack of sleep, busy schedule, and excessive use of technology can lead to dark circles. But just because, it is a common occurrence, it doesn’t mean that there’s no way to get rid of them.
This article will discuss some natural as well as dermatological ways to banish dark circles from your life and beneath your eyes. From home remedies to artificial methods to lifestyle changes, know all the ways that will help you say goodbye to dark circles.
15 Simple Ways to Banish Dark Circles Naturally
- Tea Bag – Packs for the eyes can be made with the help of tea bags the caffeine and the antioxidants present in it helps to reduce the puffiness and also helps in shrinking the blood vessels and retention of fluid present in the tissues around the affected area. All one has to do is to soak the tea bags in not very hot water and then rinse it with cold water and then leave it on the eyes for approximately 20 minutes and then wash the area with cold water.
- Cold Metal Spoons – This method could be used for extremely worn out and puffy eyes. Spoons made of metal are a good tool to help transmit the temperature. All one has to do is put two metal spoons inside a freezer for a few minutes till the desired temperature is attained. Put the spoon on closed eyes for 7 to 8 minutes and make circular motions around the affected area.
- Cool Water – One can also use this technique. Just soak an extremely soft cloth in cold water and squeeze out the excess. Put it on closed eyes for 7-8 minutes. This really helps to boost the blood circulation around the eyes.
- Cold Milk can also be used to remove dark circles. This contains antioxidants which help to cure eyes that are puff. This can be used as an alternative to cool water and also results in glowing skin. Put two cotton balls of cotton in a bowl of cold milk and then dab them carefully on the eyes. Let it be for few minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- Ice Cube also helps in getting rid of dark circles and also tired and weary eyes. Just put ice cubes and tie it in a soft cloth and press it against the affected area repeat the procedure for over three to four times a day for a couple of weeks.
- Cucumber is commonly used for face masks as it works as an excellent lightening agent for the skin. One can simply cut a thick slice of this vegetable and let it chill in the freezer and then place it directly on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes. One can also blended and apply the juice on the affected area and rinse it with cold water. For best results repeat the procedure three to four times a week. However, eating it always turns is a better option!
- Rose Water is another refreshing element that not only helps the eyes but the skin too. It helps the dark circles to vanish in a jiffy. Cotton balls soaked in rose water should be placed on the affected area. One can leave it for 10 minutes and then rest voila!
- Pineapple Juice contains an enzyme called bromelain enzyme which is full of anti-inflammatory properties and it helps to decrease radical damage. It also lightens the skin underneath the eyes. Turmeric and cucumber if added to this, it makes it an antibacterial mixture as well. All one needs to do is mix these three elements well and create a paste-like mixture. Then, using one’s fingertips, it can be applied to the eyes. Rinse it with cold water afterward. Do this once per week.
- Night Jasmine Oil remedy possesses the impeccable quality of reducing stress which actually is one of the main factors that causes dark circles. Night Jasmine is full of anti-inflammatory, ophthalmic and astringent properties. Mixed with olive oil and almond oil, one needs to gently massage it around the eyes for 4 to 5 minutes. This helps to get rid of the dark circles very rapidly. Then wash it with warm water after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Orange Juice is another effective remedy. Orange juice with some glycerin helps a lot when massages correctly. Not only does it reduce stress but also helps to get rid of dark circles but makes the eyes stand out.
- Potatoes produce the best results when they are fried in oil! Jokes apart, it contains bleaching elements and helps the puffiness to reduce. Just like cucumbers, potatoes need to be cut into thick slices or can be made into a juice which can then be directly applied to the affected area. In case of juice, one can apply it with the help of cotton pads and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse with cold water.
- Almond Oil is the most beneficial substance out of everything. It is an anti-inflammatory substance. The area under the items to be thin and loses out on moisture quickly and almond oil locks the moisture and lightens the skin. Just apply a few drops of almond oil under the eyes with the help of fingers and massage. Doing this every day before going to bed is beneficial.
- Mint leaves help in cooling and it is a natural ingredient. It helps soothe the weary eyes and reduces dark circles too. All one has to do is crush about 5 to 6 mint leaves and apply it under the eye and leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse it with a wet cloth. This must be done once a day until the desired result is acquired.
- Apple is also known for its super-power of lightening the skin. It contains vitamin B, Vitamin C, potassium and tannic acid which nourishes the sensitive areas like the areas around the eye. All one has to do is cut an apple into thick slices and leave it on the affected area for 30 to 40 minutes. Then wash the face with cold water and applying the cream after drying the face helps.
- Lemon is another wonderful agent. Lemon contains the properties that of a bleach. Like potatoes, it also contains vitamin C which is well known for removing dark circles and lightening the skin. One cotton ball dipped in fresh lemon juice and then carefully being dead in the affected area does the magic.
Other ways to banish dark circles naturally include:
Tomato is an impeccable skin lightening agent which helps to mitigate the dark circles and lighten the skin tone and makes it look glamorous. Blending or squeezing one tomato and applying the juice with some lemon juice on the dark circle and letting it rest for 10 minutes and then rinsing the area with cool water helps the dark circles to vanish in a jiffy.
Turmeric should help get rid of dark circles and clear the skin discoloration as it has antioxidants. 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder with Pineapple juice constitutes the paste. It has to be applied on the dark area for 10 minutes and then wiped off with a cloth that is wet.
The Natural Eye Cream has helped many people who have dry skin which in turn leads to the cause of dark circles. One must always keep the skin moisturized. Eye creams are used for this whole reason. It is easy to make natural eye cream. All that one needs are essential oils, Aloe Vera Gel, shea butter, coconut oil, and Vitamin E. Mix them up and store it in a jar and keep applying it every day and night around the dark circles.
Retinol helps to produce collagen which helps to keep the skin youthful and remove dark circles. Retinol is easily available in more or less all the drug stores.
Fixing One Sleep Position is another important remedy. Of all the remedies mentioned above, it is definitely helpful. Paying close attention to one sleep and the sleep positions are also necessary. Sleeping on the back with an extra pillow prevents any fluid accumulating under the eye.
Concealer makeup works in a fabulous way. Concealer covers of the dark circles for the temporary span of time. However, while buying a concealer, one must always keep in mind to buy a shade that is two shades darker than the skin tone to cover under the eye. Then apply concealer of the particular skin tone on top of it.
Aloe Vera Gel helps soothe the skin and keeps it hydrated. It also helps to reduce pigmentation. All one needs is aloe Vera gel and cotton balls to apply on the affected area. Doing this twice a day keeps the eyes healthy.
Coconut oil is an all-rounder. It is the best in every aspect be it for hair, skin, stomach, just name it. Applying coconut oil on the affected area before going to bed and massaging it helps keep the skin moisturized and glowing.
Honey is another powerhouse of antioxidants and components that not only nourishes the skin, but also softens the skin and the dark circles disappear in no time. Applying a thin layer of it and leaving it to rest for 15 to 20 minutes works wonders. Repeating this twice a day every day helps.
Baking Soda Mixed with Some Lukewarm Water helps prevent dark circles that lighten the skin and soothes it. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which improve the circulation of blood under the eyes. Cotton pads soaked in this mixture and then placed on the affected areas for 15 to 20 minutes helps a lot.
Buttermilk with turmeric has a lot of added health benefits. This also helps mitigate dark circles.
Dermatological Ways to Remove Dark Circles
Topical Hydroquinone is a lightening agent which is found in a lot of products many people use it to lighten the blemishes on the skin like dark circles under eye circles freckles and liver spots. This is used by those who have hyperpigmentation which is a condition that produces dark patches on the skin. Proven by clinical studies hydroquinone has approximately 60% chances of reducing dark circles but hydroquinone must be used for several months consistently before noticeable changes are achieved. However, only 2% of hydroquinone in creams are available and they remove dark circles, without any side effects or skin irritation. However, if a doctor prescribes it, creams with 4% of hydroquinone can also be used which are not really harmful to the skin.
Mesotherapy is used to treat a lot of ailments on various skin conditions. It is a solution which is made up of Amino acids, pharmaceuticals, vitamins, and minerals and it is only administered to the upper and the middle skin layers. Microinjection is usually used to put the solution in the exact affected area which triggers a new cycle of rejuvenation and healing. This process of mesotherapy also creates quite a few microchannel in the skin and induces the production of elastin and collagen which is very necessary for the skin to repair itself again. The procedure is however painless but some discomfort may be felt and it is an alternative to surgery for certain patients who are looking for methods which are nonsurgical.
Chemical Peels like Argentine Peels and Lactic Peels help to rejuvenate the skin around the eyes which are affected. They help by exfoliating the upper layer of the skin which is damaged to reveal the healthier skin layer underneath. These peels can be used to treat various other skin problems like scars due to acne or wound, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles etc. It is an effective method to remove dark circles. This method is usually performed by skin doctors. Arginine peel contains amino acid which is obtained from brown sugar which helps to boost the Collagen and moisturizes the skin and also increases the elasticity of the skin. The lactic peel helps to lighten the skin and exfoliates it as well. It also helps in the fading of the hyperpigmentation.
Laser Treatment helps to improve the texture of the skin. The laser energy heats up the skin and then treats the cells which are damaged. This damage induces the production of collagen again during the skins phase of recovery. Collagen further contributes to a smoother and healthy skin. A laser treatment which has fractional CO2 laser is one of the best ways to mitigate the dark circles underneath the eyes. Basically, the area that has to be treated is cleaned and then an anesthetic cream is applied to this affected area and then the further procedure takes place.
Intense Pulse light Therapy or Photo Facial Light Treatments are very effective to remove the dark circles which are caused due to pigments. But, this can, however, be only done on fair skinned people. People with a darker skin tone can be treated with the 1540 non-ablative laser to mitigate the pigmentation. This IPL or Intense Pulse Light treatment is helpful in closing the blood vessels and the small veins. It also helps to reduce the number of vessels in a very effective way and helps remove dark circles from under the eyes.
Pulse Dye Laser Treatment is performed by the shooting of light into the skin under the eye area which is affected. This light is however absorbed by the pigmented areas of the blood vessels and it results in the reduction of wrinkles and resurfacing of the skin. This therapy usually works for people who are fighting with wrinkles and lines as well as the dark circles under the eyes. However, the laser treatment will not be successful on skin that is already smooth. This treatment might get a bit pricey. This treatment also has quite a lot of side effects. Most people have complained of going through severe pain and this is a very common side effect. Other side effects include redness, itching, and swelling of the eyes and the affected area. The skin pigmentation also changes since it is a pulse dye laser. This is however not applicable to all skin tones. After laser treatments, it is very common to be more sensitive to the sun. Bruising is another side effect of this treatment.
Dermal Fillers and Fat Grafting somehow help to banish dark circles and bags formed under the eyes. The dermal fillers use synthetic or sometimes natural substances to mitigate the bags formed under the eyes. They use substances such as hyaluronic acid which helps to restore the volume that was lost and again helps in the stimulation of collagen under the eyes this injection helps to make the skin underneath the eyes plump which in turn helps to eliminate the hollows and reduces the dark circles under the eyes these injections mostly last for only about a year. Similarly, fat grafting is another method which helps to rejuvenate the under eyes area. A very little quantity of fat is taken from the patient’s body and then injected into the area under the eyes. This fat is however processed. The results of fat grafting last more than the dermal fillers.
Botulinum Toxin Type A or Commonly Known as Botox is a drug that is one of a kind which is injected into the skin directly. The main objective of this drug is to weaken the muscle and relax the skin surrounding the areas of the eye. The main use of Botox includes removing wrinkles when one smiles or makes any other facial expressions, controlling the twitching of eyelids which is also called blepharospasm and removing dark circles. Though Botox performed under the eye area has not been very widely studied, the goals of Botox remain more or less same. Like the other treatments, its goal is to reduce dark circles, smooth out the wrinkles, and relax the muscles. These Botox injections are directly applied underneath the skin. It is an anti-aging procedure as well. The botox works by relaxing the muscles. These muscles contract when a person talks laugh or smiles. Botox reduces wrinkles, reduces dark circles and makes the skin extremely smooth. However, Botox comes with a lot of Side Effects like dizziness, bruising, swelling of the area that had been injected, headache, dizziness, muscle weakness, hollowness under the eyes, sudden tears, blurry vision, facial asymmetry, and swallowing difficulties etc.
Blepharoplasty is basically the modification of the eyelids with the help of surgery. It does actually remove dark circles, swelling under the eyes and wrinkles. Blepharoplasty is done as a surgery for cosmetic reasons but it also causes certain complications which includes allergy guys malar Complex, dry eyes, etc. So when a person decides to get this surgery done, one must be careful. This process of blepharoplasty helps remove the droopy eyelids and dark circles.
Acugel or Hydra-facial Treatment is another effective way of treating the dark circles under the eyes. Acugel treatment is a device which is based on iontophoresis which helps deliver the elements or substances deep into the area of the skin where it is really required. Acugel or hydra-facial treatment helps to improve the circulation of blood and tries to reduce edema which mostly causes the puffiness under the eye. Usually, about 7 to 8 sessions are required which completely again depends on the depth of the skin. However, the session is only about 25 to 30 minutes and this procedure is generally avoided by patients who have pacemakers.
Quick Everyday Lifestyle Ways to Banish Dark Circles
After the remedies mentioned above and getting the dark circles treated well, there are certain measures that prevent them from returning and keep the skin looking flawless. They are:
- Enough sleep
- Avoiding too much of salt
- Using sunscreen
- Removing makeup properly
- Proper intake of Vitamins
- Stop drinking the excess of alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Don’t keep skin dry
- Keep oneself hydrated
- Proper intake of Nutrition.
- What Causes Bags Under Your Eyes & How To Get Rid Of It?
- Goodness of Almond Oil To Get Rid of Dark Circles
- Why Do We Get Dark Circles Under Our Eye?
- Tips To Reduce Dark Circles
- How Long Does It Take To Get Rid Of Dark Circles & Which Is The Fastest Way To Remove Dark Circles?