Can you eliminate dental plaque with home remedies? Can baking soda remove tartar from teeth? Let us understand all about the effect of baking soda on teeth and home remedies to prevent tartar.
The accumulation of dead cells, bacteria, and debris on teeth is called plaque. Plaque is extremely harmful for the teeth because it interacts with some foods to produce an acid, which triggers the formation of cavities. The accumulated plaque can also turn into tartar.
Tartar is basically a mineral deposit which gets stuck up in the teeth overtime. Also known as calculus, tartar is usually rough and porous, and forms below and above the gum line. It can lead to receding gums and gum diseases. If tartar is not treated for a long time, it can cause periodontitis due to the lack of oral hygiene. Tartar also leads to difficulty in brushing and causes cavities or tooth decay.
However, some home remedies can help one get rid of tartar. Wondering can baking soda remove tartar from the teeth? Read on to know more about it and home remedies to prevent tartar.
Can Baking Soda Help to Remove Tartar from Teeth?
Yes, baking soda can help to remove tartar from teeth. It is one of the oldest and the most effective home remedies for dental plaque and tartar. It also helps in maintaining a more alkaline oral pH to make the environment of the oral cavity healthier. The natural antimicrobial properties of baking soda help to decrease the number of unhealthy bacteria in the mouth.
- In this dental cleaning procedure, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, salt, water, a toothbrush, an antiseptic mouth wash, and a dental pick are required.
- First, ½ tsp salt should be mixed with 1 cup of baking soda.
- Then, a clean toothbrush should be dipped in this mixture, and the teeth should be scrubbed normally with it for around 5 minutes.
- Next, the mouth should be rinsed for a minute with a mix of 1 cup hydrogen peroxide and ½ cup warm water.
- After this procedure, a dental pick should be used to rub the tartar on the teeth. One should be careful not to hurt their gums while doing this.
- Finally, the mouth should be rinsed with an antiseptic mouth wash.
Baking soda should not be used for more than 5 days in a row because it is abrasive in nature and can damage the tooth enamel if used too often. For best results, this procedure should be repeated every alternate day. Also, pressure should not be applied while brushing with baking soda as toothpaste.
What are the Home Remedies to Prevent Tartar?
While baking soda can be effectively used to remove tartar from teeth, some home remedies too are used to prevent tartar. These include the following.
- One can eat some melon or an apple directly, after a meal, to clean their teeth naturally, prevent tartar or plaque from accumulating on the teeth, maintain healthy gums and prevent gum bleeding.
- Citrus fruits like orange are loaded with vitamin C which helps to prevent the growth of microorganisms on the surface of teeth. By rubbing the rind of an orange over the surface of the teeth before going to sleep at night, one can get rid of tartar in no time. These are one of the commonest home remedies to prevent tartar.
- Like oranges, tomatoes and strawberries are also rich in vitamin C. They should be cut open and their juice should be rubbed on the surface of the teeth, and allowed on stay on for about 5 minutes. The mouth should finally be rinsed with a solution of baking soda dissolved in water to get tartar free teeth. While these are used as home remedies to prevent tartar and plaque, those who are allergic to them, should not use it.
- A spoonful of sesame seeds can be chewed, but not swallowed, and then the teeth should be brushed with a dry toothbrush while using the sesame seeds as a kind of toothpaste. This is one of the effective home remedies to prevent tartar, removing plaque and polishing the teeth.
- People, who wish to stay away from the chemical laden store-bought toothpastes, can make their own plaque-busting natural toothpaste at home with a few simple ingredients. This toothpaste consists of home remedies to prevent tartar and can help to maintain oral health. It can be made by combining ½ cup coconut oil with 2 to 3 tbsp baking soda, 2 small packets of stevia powder and 20 drops of any essential oil, like peppermint or cinnamon. This homemade toothpaste should be stored in a small glass jar and used just like regular toothpaste.
While it is true that baking soda can remove tartar from teeth and many home remedies can prevent tartar or plaque formation, it is necessary to use these products with caution. If a particular ingredient is not tolerated well, one may not use it. Apart from this, maintain proper oral hygiene and a regular dental check-up is necessary.