Causes of Itching in Private Parts & 13 Home Remedies to Relieve It
Itching in the private parts is a very common, annoying and an extremely embarrassing problem for everyone. No matter if you are a man or woman or a child, every one of us at some point of time have experienced itching in our private parts. So, what is the cause of itching in the private parts and can something at home be done about it?
What are the Causes of Itching in Private Parts?
Some of the common causes of itching in private parts consist of infection (yeast, bacterial, fungal), sexually transmitted diseases (genital herpes, chlamydia, genital warts, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis), menopause (in women), hormonal fluctuations, chemicals (scented toilet paper, condoms, fabric softeners, contraceptive foams, douches, soaps, laundry detergents), skin problems/diseases (Lichen sclerosus) to name a few.
13 Home Remedies to Relieve Itching in Private Parts
There are some simple and effective home remedies which can be tried to alleviate the itching in private parts. 13 may not be considered a lucky number by many, but we have compiled a list of 13 most effective home remedies to combat itching in private parts and these home remedies are:
Cold Compress/ Cold Water
This is one of the most effective home remedy to relieve itching in private parts. If the cause of itching in private parts is heat or chemicals, then washing your private parts with cold water or using cold compresses creates a numbing effect and relieves the itching. Don’t use soap, use only plain cold water for rinsing your genitals and pat dry gently. Cold compresses can be made by wrapping some ice cubes in a clean cloth and applying this to your private parts for a couple of minutes. Remove and wait for a minute, then re-apply. Repeat this process till the itching subsides.
Yogurt contains good bacteria which help in maintaining a healthy environment in the genital region. If the itching is mild, then yogurt is an excellent natural remedy to relieve itching in the private parts. However, avoid using sweetened or flavored yogurt, as it can lead to worsening of itching in private parts. Only plain yogurt should be used. You can also consume plain yogurt daily which will help in restoring the internal balance of good bacteria. Also you can take some plain yogurt and apply to your affected private parts. Keep it for an hour and wash it gently with plain water only. Do this 3 to 4 times a day to get relief from itching in private parts.
Rosemary is an herb which has multiple health benefits. Take a bunch of Rosemary leaves and steep it in hot water for 20 minutes. Let the water cool down and rinse your private parts with this solution and you will find an immediate relief in itching with this.
Basil leaves too contain anti-fungal, anti-microbial and antibacterial properties and is very effective in treating itching in private parts caused by infection. Take a bunch of Basil leaves and boil it in a cup of water. Let it steep for 20 minutes and drink this solution after it has cooled down two times daily to get rid of itching in private parts.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and is very beneficial in treating itching in private parts.
- Apple cider vinegar can be consumed daily by mixing 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drinking this twice a day. This will make your body more alkaline and eliminate the harmful bacteria and yeast.
- You can also add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of boiled and cooled water. Now rinse your private parts with this solution of apple cider vinegar thrice a day till the itching in private parts is gone.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil also contains strong antibacterial properties. Tea tree oil not only helps in relieving itching in private parts, but is also very effective in treating yeast infection.
- Add 4 to 6 drops of tea tree oil to your bath water. Soak in this water for around 10 to 15 minutes. Do this daily till you get relief from itching in private parts.
- Add 4 to 6 drops of tea tree oil to 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and mix well. Apply this mixture to your private parts to get rid of the itching.
Boric acid contains anti-fungal agents and is very effective in treating very resistant yeast infections of the private parts. However, Boric acid should be used with caution, as it is toxic when used internally. Take ¼ tsp of boric acid and mix it in 1 cup of water. Rinse your private parts with this boric acid solution. Do this daily till the itching in private parts subsides.
Chamomile is a soothing herb which not only will help get rid of itching, but also burning and inflammation in the private parts. You can also add tea tree oil to Chamomile to increase its effectiveness.
Take 1 tsp of chamomile herb or 1 Chamomile tea bag. Boil 2 cups of water and add the Chamomile to it and let it boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it steep for 5 minutes. Next, strain it and once this chamomile solution has cooled down, add 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil to it. Rinse your private parts with this solution twice a day to get rid of itching.
When it comes to home remedies, Garlic occupies a very special place due to its excellent antibiotic and antibacterial properties.
- Mix a few drops of garlic oil to 1 tsp of vitamin E oil. Apply this oil solution to your private parts. Leave it for 20 minutes and gently wash it off with lukewarm water.
- If you are experiencing itching in the vagina, then peel a medium sized garlic clove and make some incisions on it with a knife. Insert this garlic clove into your vagina and leave it for a couple of hours before removing it. You can leave it overnight also. Do this daily till the itching in private part subsides.
Epsom Salt or Sea Salt
Salt is beneficial in controlling the growth of bacteria and fungi. Epsom salt is good in treating infections and sea salt contains excellent anti-bacterial properties.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt to 2 cups of water. Rinse your private parts with this solution to get relief from itching.
- Take an empty bottle and add 1 tsp of sea salt in it. Further add 2 to 4 drops each of thyme, lavender, chamomile and rosemary essential oils. Next, fill the bottle with water. Use this solution to rinse your private parts twice daily.
- Add 2 tbsp of salt to your bath water. Soak in this bath for half-an-hour daily to relieve itching of your private parts.
Coconut oil contains hydrating properties which soothes the dry skin in your private parts. Coconut oil is also effective in treating yeast infection of the private parts. Coconut oil also contains antiviral, anti- fungal and antimicrobial properties. Coconut oil when consumed also helps in boosting the immune system.
- You can consume 2 tbsp of coconut oil daily or add it into your cooking.
- Coconut oil can be applied to the affected private parts daily.
- Add few drops of vitamin E oil and garlic oil to some coconut oil. Apply this solution to your private parts to get rid of itching.
- Add 4 tbsp of coconut oil to 6 cups of water and use this mixture to rinse your private parts.
Neem (Indian Lilac)
Neem has been in use for centuries for treating skin conditions and infections. Neem contains strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Add a handful of neem leaves to 4 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Let the water cool down and use it to rinse your private parts twice daily.
- Mix few drops of neem oil with coconut oil and dab this solution to your private parts. Gently wipe it off after 20 minutes.
- Add a few drops of neem oil in water and use this solution to rinse your private parts to get rid of itching.
- Maintaining proper hygiene is one of pre-requisites to prevent itching in private parts. It is important to shower daily and wear clean underwear daily. However, don’t wash or scrub your private parts excessively as it results in dry skin which in turn causes more itching.
- After a bowel movement, remember to always wipe from front to back.
- Change the diapers of your infants regularly and frequently to prevent itching in private parts.
- Avoid douching.
- Avoid sexual intercourse if you are experiencing burning and itching in your private parts.
- Try to avoid scratching your private parts as much as possible as this only aggravates the itching.
- Always wear loose and comfortable clothes to allow air circulation and to keep your body dry. Avoid wearing tight clothes, as they cause irritation to your skin upon every movement. Avoid wearing synthetic clothes during summer and wear loose cotton clothes.
- Avoid the use of irritating products as chemical irritants are the leading cause of itching in private parts.
- Avoid products which have fragrances added to them such as toilet paper, bubble bath and laundry detergent. Avoid using soaps, douches and feminine hygiene sprays to clean your vagina. Vagina is a self-cleaning organ and water is sufficient to clean it.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
- Follow a healthy and balanced diet and avoid junk food. Avoid consuming refined carbohydrates and sugar.
- Consume lots of fermented foods such as kefir, probiotic yogurt and miso.
- Avoid sweetened, carbonated drinks.
- Cut down on smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid any triggering allergens which are causing the itching in the private parts.
- Try using fragrance-free products. Wear breathable cotton clothes.