Acne, commonly known as pimples or zits, affects more than 80% of teenagers around the world and in fact this condition may prevail well into adulthood. Studies suggest that every year about 2 million teenagers visit various skincare clinics looking for solutions for zits and the cost of treatment is well over a billion dollars. In spite of extensive research done in this area with regard to the etiology and management options there has not been much strides made .
Traditional medications used for treating rashes or zits have led to significant side effects. This is why new avenues pertaining to management options for zits are the need of the hour. This has led to researchers focusing more on natural products and medications to treat zits. The naturally obtained cannabidiol and lactobacillus have shown promise in treating zits.
Procedural methods like micro-needling and Cryolysis have also shown promise in management of zits. However, more clinical trials are to be conducted to know the actual efficacy of these methods and whether they can be done along with the existing options available for treating zits. This article gives an idea of some of the natural ways of treating zits as they have also shown positive results when it comes to treatment of zits.
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Zits
There are various home remedies and natural treatments available for treating zits. They include various herbal creams, gels, and oils which claim to get rid of zits if used diligently. However, there is little scientific evidence to prove the efficacy of natural and home remedies to get rid of zits, some of which have been mentioned below. These remedies have been used for many years and have been successful in some cases to get rid of zits.
- Tea Tree Oil. This is an effective home remedy to get rid of zits. It helps in calming down the redness and swelling caused due to zits. Tea Tree Oil is a natural antibacterial and antiinflammatory which eliminates bacteria causing zits. A study conducted in 2015 suggested that the ingredients of Tea Tree Oil has a tendency to decrease the number of zits in individuals who have a mild to moderate form of this condition. The study also suggested that this oil can be best used along with benzoyl peroxide which is a common ingredient of many creams available over the counter for treating zits. The individual just needs to mix tea tree extract in their creams and lotions and apply it on the affected area.
- Jojoba Oil. This is a natural substance which is extracted from jojoba shrub. This substance which is wax like in nature helps in repairing skin damage caused due to zits and aids in wound healing. This substance also has properties which aid in reducing inflammation and swelling around the area of the zits. A study conducted to look at the efficacy of Jojoba oil on zits showed that people who used it for about three weeks reported about a 50% improvement in the lesions. To use this oil, you need to mix jojoba oil in the cream or gel and apply it on the affected area. Alternatively, use a cotton ball and apply some jojoba oil on it and rub it on the affected area. This oil is easily available in herbal stores and even online.
- Aloe Vera. This is yet another effective natural remedy to get rid of zits. Aloe Vera is a natural antiinflammatory and antibacterial. Thus it is quite effective in reducing the severity of the lesions and inflammation caused due to zits. It also helps in prevention of recurrence of zits once treated . Aloe Vera is also an excellent moisturizer and keeps the skin moist and thus is even effective for those people who tend to get dry skin when they use anti-zits skincare products. The best way to use Aloe Vera is cleaning the zits sores and applying Aloe Vera gel or cream on the affected area. Aloe Vera gels and creams are easily available at herbal stores.
- Honey. This is an ancient way of treating various skin disorders including Zits. Honey is perhaps the best natural product to clear the clogged vessels which are the primary cause of Zits. It is also a natural antibacterial and helps to eliminate bacteria that cause zits. To use it, just take some honey on a cotton ball and place it on the affected area.
- Garlic. This is yet another natural way of getting rid of zits. Garlic is a natural immune booster and increases the body’s ability to fight bacteria and germs. It is also a natural antiinflammatory and calms down the inflammation caused due to zits. Garlic can be easily incorporated into the diet. It not only makes the food tasty but also helps in getting rid of zits. Alternatively, you can take a couple of garlic cloves and chew it provided you like the taste of it. It should be noted here that caution should be maintained when applying garlic paste to the skin since it may cause skin burns or irritation.
- Green Tea. This is also quite an effective natural way to get rid of zits. It is extremely high on antioxidants which reduce the inflammation caused due to zits. People with zits tend to have high levels of sebum which is one of the causes of formation of zits. Green Tea is an excellent way to increase antioxidants in the body and clear away any debris that accumulates on the skin pores causing zits. Green Tea can be used obviously as a tea and some people use green tea extract and apply on the affected area for best results.