Can You Have Morning Sickness Without Vomiting?
The commonest symptom of pregnancy – morning sickness includes nausea with or without vomiting. Hence, it is possible to get morning sickness without vomiting. In fact, some women do not experience vomiting at all, however, they do experience nausea all day long. So yes, a pregnant woman can have morning sickness without vomiting.
Signs And Symptoms Of Morning Sickness
The commonest and most prominent symptom of morning sickness is nausea with or without vomiting, which may prevail all day long, despite the name morning sickness
Causes Of Morning Sickness
The exact cause of morning sickness is not known. Some of the speculated causes are as follows-
- Some studies and experts believe that varying levels of hormone HCG found in the body in pregnancy may be responsible for morning sickness.
- Some also believe that the amount of HCG hormone in the body is directly proportional to the intensity of morning sickness.
- Some studies say some psychological factors may be responsible for this morning sickness.
- Increased estrogen levels may be responsible for morning sickness according to some studies
- However, oral contraceptive pills or hormone replacement therapy medicines also lead to such type of symptoms
- An increase in progesterone levels might be the reason according to some studies
- An early or untimely childbirth is prevented due to progesterone, as it relaxes the uterine muscles
However, progesterone may also cause a relaxation in the muscles of stomach and intestines, which may increase the stomach acids and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Some studies speculate that HCG prompts the ovaries of the mother to produce more oestrogen, which becomes a cause of nausea
- Some studies believe that this might be a part of the evolution process. This may be explained by why morning sickness is seen only in pregnant women and not in other women.
- This may be suggestive of the fact that it is a way of the body to consider pregnancy as a physiological change and not a pathological one.
- Morning sickness is at the peak level at three months and this is the time when the foetus is most susceptible to toxins
- Morning sickness may also be a reaction invoked in the mother due to a presence of toxins in food. It is generally experienced that nausea starts after the mother encounters a particular smell or food
Natural Remedies And Tips For Morning Sickness
- Avoid food which is very greasy and spicy. Any food that has a tendency to cause a stomach upset can give you a nausea
- Include extra protein in your food. High-fat or high-carb foods can’t fight nausea as good as protein rich foods
- Eat small proportions of food and avoid one full meal. Eating large quantities at a time may trigger nausea by giving you a feeling of heaviness and fullness
- Be in a sitting position for at least sometime after you finish eating. You may experience nausea if reflux is triggered due to lying down immediately after eating. Sitting straight for some time after eating will help
- Avoid drinking liquids with meals. Drinking with meals can again trigger nausea by inducing a feeling of fullness
- Keep up your fluid balance through the day. If you experience vomiting too it may lead to dehydration. Drink electrolyte balanced fluids, vegetable broth or mineral water to avoid dehydration
- Stay away from triggering smells. Also, it is a good idea to stay away from those smells which you know for sure can trigger nausea in you
- There is no need to take any iron supplements in the first trimester if iron in your blood within normal limits as these may trigger nausea in some women
- Exercise regularly. Some fresh air will surely do you lot of good. Aerobic exercise, yoga will help in reducing the nausea
- Though generally morning sickness includes both nausea and vomiting, many pregnant women may experience morning sickness without vomiting.
- Home Remedies For Morning Sickness
- Morning Sickness at Night: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment
- Natural Remedies For Morning Sickness
- How Soon Can You Get Morning Sickness?
- Do You Feel Better After Throwing Up Morning Sickness?
- Alternative Treatment For Morning Sickness
- Does Everyone Get Morning Sickness?
- What is Coffee Ground Vomitus & How is it Treated? | Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis of Coffee Ground Vomitus