According To The Nutritional Content, Milk Can Be Classified Into:
- Whole milk: It contains all the nutrients.
- Semi skimmed milk: with half of the normal fat content.
- Skimmed milk: It does not contain fats.
- Fortified milk: With added vitamins and calcium.
- Enriched milk: With addition of nutrients that milk does not contain in its natural state, such as omega 3 or fiber.
Whole milk is an essential food throughout the world and one of the most complete because of the milk nutritional properties. Calcium is one of the main nutrients, which is why it is good for bones. In addition, it also contains lactose, which makes it intolerant for some people.
The main milk for human consumption in many countries is cow’s milk, followed by sheep’s milk and goat’s milk. When its composition is modified, subtracting its fat fraction is called skimmed milk. The marketed skimmed milk must have a maximum of 1% fat, which will determine the lower energy value of this food, compared to whole or semi-skimmed milk (1.5% fat).
- It is available throughout the year.
- Edible Portion
- 100 grams per 100 grams of fresh product.
- Source of nutrients and non-nutritive substances
- Proteins of high biological value, carbohydrates (lactose), iodine, calcium, phosphorus, riboflavin and vitamin B12.
The only nutritional difference between whole milk and skimmed milk is based exclusively in its fat content, and consequently, in its caloric value.
Given its characteristics, skimmed milk is considered more appropriate in situations in which it is necessary to control the fat and energy content of the diet, such as obesity, cardiovascular, hepatic or biliary disorders, and diabetes, among other diseases. Skimmed milk is better digested so it can be interesting for those who suffer from digestive disorders.
In the process to convert regular milk to skimmed milk, essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins are lost. The taste is also usually affected. The consumption of skimmed milk by children is not justified, unless there is an express medical indication. Skimmed milk retains the same proportion of proteins, sugars (lactose) and calcium as the whole milk, although it is devoid of fat, a basic energy nutrient for the proper functioning and organic development of the smallest, as well as the vitamins dissolved in it, called fat-soluble, such as vitamin A and D. This last vitamin is necessary for the absorption of calcium and its deposit in bones and is obtained mostly from whole milk products, but also thanks to the controlled action of sunlight on the skin.
Despite its nutritional value, cow’s milk is contraindicated in some specific situations, as in the case of those suffering from lactose intolerance, galactosemia and milk allergy.
What Is The Best Type Of Milk To Drink For Weight Loss?
In a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 34 men and women participated in two test sessions. In the first, half a liter of skimmed milk was served, while in the second, the same amount of fruit juice was drunk, with a contribution of 250 calories.
Four hours later they were allowed to eat until they were satisfied. Through this test, scientists discovered that those subjects who had drunk skimmed milk felt full and more satisfied before than those who consumed fruit juice, which contributed to lower calories consumption in the meal.
According to researchers, the protein content of skimmed milk, lactose – the natural sugar in this food – has an essential role in the feeling of satiety. Consuming foods that increase this sensation is a key factor when elaborating dietary plans. Although it is a good option for weight control, this type of milk is not recommended in lactose intolerant patients.
Nutrition experts focus on small changes in activities that contribute to the fight against obesity. By consuming skimmed milk at breakfast, you can avoid 50 calories a day. However, it is also relevant to have a well-balanced diet and exercise regularly in order to lose weight in a healthy manner.
- Pilates For Weight Loss: 5 Useful Exercises for Beginners, Hundred, Bridge, Single Leg Circles
- Weight Loss Apps On Android
- Excessive Weight Loss & Hair Loss: Is There a Link?
- Cardio Exercise: Benefits, How to Do, Weight Loss, Cardiovascular Fitness
- Pre and Post Workout Diets For Weight Loss
- 5 Stair Exercises for Weight Loss
- Does Reiki Work for Weight Loss?
- Kickstart Your Weight Loss with These 4 Easy Diet Changes