Insomnia is a sleep disorder and is characterized by difficulty in falling asleep. It is a condition which can occur due to psychiatric or medical condition, unhealthy sleeping habits, lifestyle and other biological factors. Insomnia can be extremely debilitating as it might disrupt the functioning of a person’s life.
The symptoms presented by a person suffering from insomnia are,
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- Feeling tired on waking
- Waking up often at night and finding difficult to go back to sleep again
- Waking up too early in the morning
Most of the problems with sleep are easily addressed using medications and pharmaceutical sleep aids. This does not guarantee a cure for insomnia. These medications, many times make us think, “Will we ever be able to quit them and sleep well”. Well, ‘yes you can’. There are various natural simple herbal remedies which help you sleep well, without the hangover, which the sleeping pill intake gives you.
Herbal Remedies To Get Rid of Insomnia
Valerian is a native plant of Europe and Asia and is known for its sleep-inducing properties making it an effective herbal remedy to get rid of insomnia. This plant helps a person fall asleep faster and also increases the duration and quality of sleep. The root of this plant is dried and used as a sleep aid. It can be used in a form of tincture, a capsule or a bedtime tea.
Early years hops were used as a herbal remedy to treat insomnia caused due to stress or nerve weakness. It can be combined with valerian to get excellent results. It can be consumed in the form of tincture or tea and is known to be used for sleeplessness, restlessness, and nervousness.
#3. Passiflora incarnate
Also known as passion flower, Passiflora is an excellent herbal remedy to calm and relax the mind. It is rich in flavones and alkaloids. It also contains GABA (an inhibitory neurotransmitter), which helps in regulating the muscle tone. GABA regulates the muscle tone while the pant relaxes the nerves. It is safe for children and can be taken in a form of tincture.
Lavender is a nervous system strengthening tonic. A few drops of it can be added to the bath or can be used as massage oil. It is recommended for the people with a sleep disorder and also helps in insomnia.
#5. California poppy
California poppy is a mild sedative, which helps in promoting sleep, easing mild anxiety and relaxing. It is known to improve sleep latency and quality. Just like passiflora, it is another mild sedative which can be safely given to children. This herbal remedy can be consumed in tea or tincture form.
#6. Kava Kava
Kava Kava calms and relaxes the body and also enhances communication and dreaming. It is a sedative herb and shows excellent results in treating sleeplessness and fatigue.
#7. Hypericum Perforatum
It is a very common herb used since ancient times to get rid of insomnia and depression. This herb can make skin sensitive to sunlight. Exposure to bright light, therefore, should be avoided if taking it. It can be consumed in the form of tincture, capsules or powdered form. If any unpleasant symptoms are observed it should be discontinued.
Being a native to India, this herb is used since ancient times for various conditions. It is the most powerful herb used in Ayurvedic practice.Along with strengthening the immune system, Ashwagandha relieves stress by reducing the cortisol levels in the body. It is also found to be effective in reducing anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
#9. Magnolia Bark
Magnolia Bark is known to reduce the cortisol levels and relax the body and mind. It also helps in improving the duration and quality of sleep. The herb promotes drowsiness when taken before bedtime.
- It is very important to have good sleep hygiene. Waking at a specific time regardless of the time you slept is very important to maintain the biological clock.
- Along with the herbal remedies, there is little basic lifestyle change which can help induce a good sleep and make you refreshed for the following day.
- Exercise regularly as it helps to deepen sleep.
- Arrange the bedroom so that it gives a comfortable look. The bedding should be comfortable, lights and temperature should be moderate for getting a getting a good night sleep.
- Minimize the liquid intake to lessen the bathroom trips.
- Avoid alcohol or any caffeinated drink before going to bed.
- Keep the mobile phone away at least one hour before bedtime.
- Meditation also helps in calming the mind and thus getting a good sleep.
The herbal remedies are completely safe and do not give in any harmful side effects, but it is always advisable to consult a qualified medical practitioner who can help you choose the best and direct you on the dosage.
It is your health never compromise on it.
- Yoga For Insomnia: 5 Best Yoga Poses To Get Rid Of Insomnia
- Insomnia: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment To Cure Poor Sleep
- Initial Insomnia: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Insomnia and Depression – Can Lack of Sleep Lead to Depression?
- Feeling Insomniac? Remedies and Foods to Fight Insomnia
- The 5 Types of Insomnia & Its Treatment, Home Remedies
- Relationship Between Insomnia & Tension-Type Headaches
- Does Acupuncture Help Cure Insomnia?