Norovirus also called stomach flu can perhaps put your system through turmoil. Approximately 90 percent of all non-bacterial outbreaks of gastroenteritis are believed to be caused by noroviruses globally.
Norovirus is an infection of the abdomen and guts. Although it is described to the “flu” it is not the same as influenza. A medical survey states that noroviruses cause 19-21 million contagions, 50,000-70,000 hospitalizations, and 550-820 bereavements every year in the US.
Home Remedies For Norovirus Infection
Antibiotics won’t help to treat norovirus infections because the condition is usually caused by a virus. In general, most contagious gastroenteritis disorders will resolve in time. However, there are several home remedies and alternative treatments that can help speed up healing time and get you out of bed and back to doing the things you love or need to do.
Rest: Most symptoms of viral infection will get better on their own with time and rest. When you have a cold or the flu, you should stay at home from work or school. Rest is a vital part of getting over any ailment.
Pay Attention To Diet- When you have the stomach flu, you are required to eat bland and binding foods such as the BRAT diet. Avoid foods that will contribute to symptoms that include
- Dairy Products
- Fatty Foods
- Spicy foods
- Alcohol and soda
- Food containing increased levels of sugar
- Acidic and processed foods
These foods can aggravate the symptoms to an already upset stomach and worsen the condition.
Drink Plenty Of Fluids: When you have the infection, it’s easy to get dehydrated. Your first instinct is to drink lots of water or hot tea to flush out the infection from your system.
Although not all fluids have the potential to overcome a nasty norovirus infection, yet low-calorie fruit juice, green tea, and sports drink will help you start to recover.
Ice Bits – One of the primary concerns of stomach flu is dehydration. Your body requires more fluids however it can be extremely difficult to drink water or other fluids and keep them from coming right back up. When you feel horrid suck on an ice bit or two to stay hydrated.(2,3)
Are there any alternative treatments for the norovirus infection?
Alternative Treatment For Norovirus Infection
Over The Counter (OTC) Anti-Diarrheal Medications- Noroviruses, like other viruses, don’t respond to antibiotics nevertheless in some cases adults can take over-the-counter medicines that include
- OTC antidiarrheals
Apparently, these medicines can be unsafe for infants and children.
Elderberry Syrup- If you already have the virus, it’s too late for elderberry. But still, elderberry syrup has the potential to stop the virus. Clinical studies show that 20% of the patients receiving elderberry had gotten significantly better. Generous consumption of elderberry syrup keeps your family members protected when you are suffering from this condition
Colloidal Silver For Norovirus- It is a natural antiviral that looks and tastes like water. Colloidal silver helps fortify the immune system to fight the stomach flu. It helps your immune system stay strong and fight off the attack.
If you have norovirus infection, you should drink a lot of fluids to restore the water lost from ejaculating and diarrhea. This eventually will improve avert dehydration. Even low degrees of dehydration can trigger migraine, fatigue, and constipation.
Severe dehydration leads to serious complications and can cause urinary tract inflammation, heat injury, kidney problem, seizures, and a few others and it needs immediate medical treatment.(1)
- Causes and treatments of stomach flu https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310481.php
- 13 Stomach Flu Natural and Home Remedies https://www.medicinenet.com/stomach_flu_natural_and_home_remedies/article.htm
- 7 Home Remedies for Bacterial Gastroenteritis https://www.activebeat.com/your-health/7-home-remedies-for-bacterial-gastroenteritis/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=AB_GGL_ROW_MOBI-Search_IS&utm_content=g_c_401030110968&cus_widget=&utm_term=how%20to%20treat%20gastroenteritis&cus_teaser=kwd-301172381983&utm_acid=6207747984&utm_caid=8346606363&utm_agid=89655834670&utm_pagetype=multi&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930l12jiOO_BEbfHC2kt3qxWDtg3AV-kAjbo4cNjRzBFQrWy0Mts6j2waAsbgEALw_wcB
- 3 Alternative Home Remedies for Fighting the Norovirus https://www.outdoorlife.com/3-alternative-home-remedies-for-fighting-norovirus/
- Home remedies for stomach flu https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/home-remedies-for-stomach-flu
- Coping Methods For Norovirus Infection
- What Are The First Symptoms Of Norovirus Infection & How Do You Test For It?
- What Is The Best Treatment For Norovirus Infection?
- What Leads To Norovirus Infection & Can It Be Cured?
- How To Diagnose Norovirus Infection & What Is The Best Medicine For It?
- What Is The Prognosis For Norovirus Infection?
- Who Is At Risk For Norovirus Infection & Is There A Blood Test For It?