Home Remedies For Mold Allergy?
A mold allergy is an uncharacteristic response given by your body to the mold spores. The mold spores are identified as foreign objects by your body and as a result, antibodies are made by the body. These antibodies cause an immune response in the body which causes symptoms like itchy and watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing and even a mild asthma.
Home Remedies For Mold Allergy?
Medicines to relieve allergy can help in bringing down the symptoms. These medicines may include anti-histamines and decongestants. However, these medicines may cause certain side effects, which may include sedation and tremors. There is no cure for mold allergies at present; however, some natural and home remedies may help in reducing the symptoms and alleviating the discomfort in mold allergy. These may help in reducing the stress faced by your immune system. These home remedies may include-
- A few persons who are very sensitive, may get affected due to fermented foods or the ones that contain mold
- In some instances, fermented foods like red wine can trigger the histamine reaction
- Sugary foods may promote the growth of candida in the body, which may result in an improper digestion and compromised immune function
- It is essential to reduce the amounts of fermented foods in your diet
- Foods like mushrooms, yeast and other fungi may be responsible for the allergies and hence, are best avoided
- Limit the intake of cheese and other foods that contain mold, especially if you notice an allergic reaction triggered soon after eating any of these
- You may be allergic to alcoholic beverages, black tea, vinegar, breads, etc. it is advisable to consume these in restricted quantities
- There are some herbs that possess anti-fungal properties. These herbs can help in alleviating symptoms of mold allergy
- One such very powerful anti-fungal herb is garlic. Garlic is known to possess a compound known as ajoene, which helps in controlling the growth of candida as well as other fungi known as aspergillus fungi
- Oregano oil, tea tree oil are other herbs that possess anti-fungal properties
- Other supplements like selenium, vitamin c also help in alleviating allergy symptoms and strengthening the immune system
Places You Visit-
- Mold is likely to thrive in certain types of places
- These may include greenhouses, flower shops, construction sites, farms etc.
- If you need to visit such places, it is advisable that you take your allergy medications and step out of the house
- You must also use a mask to cover your nose and mouth, to reduce the exposure to mold
Jobs You Do-
- Places with damp leaves and moisture are more likely to harbor mold
- If you need to clean the area, or mow the lawn, it is advisable to wear a dust mask, to avoid exposure to mold
Dehumidify Your Home-
- If you are prone to mold allergy, it would be wise to invest in a dehumidifier in order to lessen the humidity in your home, as humidity is the primary cause of mold
- It is essential that the humidity stays below 60%
- Warm, damp rooms and bathrooms, kitchens etc. are more prone to harbor mold
- It is necessary to keep these places moisture-free and clean
Filtering The Air-
- Filtering the air is important
- Air conditioners are a prime spot for mold development
- Clean the air conditioner vents and the drain pipes to avoid any growth of mold
When your body produces an allergic response to the mold spores, it results in mold allergy. The symptoms of mold allergy are similar to those of any other allergy of the upper respiratory tract and may include sneezing, runny nose, itchy and watery eyes and even mild asthma in some cases. Though conditions like allergic rhinitis and others caused by mold allergy cannot be cured, medications can help in alleviating the discomfort and reduce the symptoms. Some home remedies too, can provide a relief from the symptoms.