The cough is a common occurrence amongst kids, causing a lot of discomfort. A cough can lead to a sleepless night for both the kids as well as the parents. It is actually miserable to see a kid suffer through any sickness, especially cough. Although various remedies are available to cure cough in children, if a home remedy can help lessen it, there is nothing better than that.
Cough in children is of different types, such as:
Dry Cough. Dry coughs in children occur mostly due to common cold or flu or due to infection in the lower respiratory tract. Dry cough is mostly allergic in nature and there is no phlegm production.
Croup Cough. Croup cough is caused by a viral infection, which blocks the upper respiratory tract in children resulting in the cough sounding as a barking sound.
Whooping Cough. Whooping cough in children is caused by contagious bacterial infection, and the symptoms of whooping cough are very similar to dry cough. This cough in children results in a whooping sound.
Home Remedies to Treat Cough in Children
- Gargling. This is the most common method to relieve cough in children. Warm water with a teaspoon of salt gargled gives relief from sore throat as well as a cough. Gargling can be done three times a day.
- Honey. honey is a popular home remedy known for its anti-microbial properties, which are helpful in fighting a cold and cough. Honey can be mixed with lemon juice or ginger and given to the child for treating the cough. Being sweet in taste, honey is easy for the child to too. It is important to note that honey should not be given to a child below 1 year, as it can cause botulism.
- Ginger. Ginger is an excellent natural remedy to treat cold in children, as it is known to have antiviral properties. Ginger can be consumed by adding black pepper, honey or apple cider vinegar to it. You can also boil ginger in water and give it to the child to drink in sips.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV is known to have antibacterial properties, and is of immense relief for treating dry cough in children. The vinegar in ACV also soothes a sore throat in children. Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with crushed ginger to treat a cough in your child.
- Steam. Steam helps relieve a child’s blocked nose and blocked breathing passages. The warmth of the steam loosens the mucus and allows the child let it out easily via coughing. Boil water in a tub and add few drops of eucalyptus oil into it. Make the child inhale this steam for relief from the symptoms of cold, including cough.
- Milk and Turmeric. Turmeric is well known for its antiseptic properties. Turmeric benefits the body in various ways. To ease the symptoms of common cold or cough, turmeric can be added to milk and consumed every night by the child before going to sleep. Turmeric is a very effective home remedy to treat cough and viral infections.
- Fluid. Body loses water when it is fighting a fever and cold. Drinking plenty of water and other fluids, help keeps the child hydrated. Most of the children’s throat feels better after drinking warm beverages. To treat cough and cold in children, they should be given clear broths, herbal tea, warm water, and soups.
- Probiotics. Probiotics do not really relieve cough in children, but may help during the cough by boosting the immune system. A strong immune system in the child can fight against any ailment in the body, including a cough. Foods rich in probiotics are miso soup, yogurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut.
The home above remedies help immensely in treating cough in children and also helps the child feel better faster. Also ensure that the child gets ample rest, as it helps the body recover faster.
For a child suffering from cough, consult a doctor if.
- The phlegm produced by the cough is green, yellow in color and foul smelling.
- If the child is suffering from 102 fever along with the cough.
- Extreme weakness is present in the child from coughing.
- Dehydration is seen in the child suffering from cough.
- Fever is still present, even after 3 days.
- Coughing brings up blood.
- The child experiences breathing difficulties.
- Whooping Cough or Pertussis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications
- Abdominal Pain When Coughing
- Differentiating Dry Cough and Wet Cough Based on Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- What Causes Chronic Cough, Treatment & Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
- 30 Foods and Remedies to Keep Cough and Cold at Bay
- Why Does My Head Hurt on Coughing Hard & What are the Remedies to Cure it?