Being one of the common types of gastrointestinal infection, diarrhea can take a toll on person's health leading to dehydration and stomach pain. It is characterised by frequent discharge of bowels that takes place in the form of watery stools and abdominal discomfort. Diarrhea is body's natural response to toxins and infection that needs to be flushed out from the digestive system. This can include microbes, bacteria, parasites or other food allergens. Diarrhea causes dehydration, which further elevates water deficiency in the body as it causes water and mineral loss.
About Acute & Chronic Diarrhea
Acute diarrhea can last for a week. If it continues longer, then it leads to chronic diarrhea, which persists for several weeks. If you are having excessive watery stools for more than three times a day, you are suffering from diarrhea. While, it might be hard to believe, diarrhea can be your body's most natural defence mechanism against a virus or infection. Though it feels quite uncomfortable to deal with diarrhea, it helps in expelling out substances, which can cause greater damage to gastrointestinal tract.
When diagnosed with diarrhea, the very first question that would be popping up in your mind would be "What to do to get relief from Diarrhea?" Well, medications and liquid supplements are an indispensable part of diarrhea treatment; there are certain food restrictions that have to be followed to get faster relief from diarrhea.
Fat obtained from processed or packaged food can make things worse and cause more harm than good. Hence, one should strictly avoid consumption of refined products, fried snacks and sour items when suffering from diarrhea.
What to Do to Stop Diarrhea Naturally?
Keep Yourself Hydrated
Since diarrhea causes dehydration, one needs to ensure the body gets back its lost fluids and minerals, especially water and other electrolytes like ORS, electrol and sodium containing concoctions. Drinking water and electrolytes is important to boost water retention in the body to help it cope up with diarrhea naturally and get relief from it fast.
Bottle Gourd Juice
Bottle gourd juice is one of the best ways to get rid of dehydration quickly and helps in stopping diarrhea naturally. Bottle gourd juice is also known to be high in medicinal values; hence, it should be taken to stop diarrhea faster.
Bananas are rich in potassium and magnesium and this helps in stopping the excessive watery stools of diarrhea. Eating bananas will favour hardening of stools and helps to fight dehydration and acts as a great remedy to cure diarrhea faster in a natural way.
Rest and Sleep
Water loss, stomach pains and frequent bowel flow makes a person feel fatigued, feverish and sapped out of energy. Getting enough sleep and proper rest are therefore important during diarrhea to help body recover from persisting symptoms faster. A good 8 hours sleep will be helpful in keeping stress away and regaining energy when suffering from diarrhea.
Some supplements can also help in boosting digestive function and overall gut health, especially when you are facing issues with stomach upset. These supplements include:
- Probiotic are extremely vital to boost the growth of healthy bacteria, which can help to fight infection at a faster rate. Fermented foods are usually rich in probiotics.
- Digestive enzymes are good for better nutrient absorption and help in improving the digestive function.
- Aloe Vera juice is also a good supplement for healing the digestive tract and can be taken daily till the diarrhea subsides.
- Chia or flax seed powder when mixed with water can help control excessive diarrhea naturally; thereby providing relief from diarrhea.
- Glutamine powder is effective in treatment of chronic diarrhea and helps to provide faster relief from recurring diarrhea.
Various studies have reflected that using essential oils can be helpful in healing digestive tract and controlling stomach inflammation and diarrhea naturally. Peppermint oil in particular is known to have a cooling effect for the gut. Its active menthol blocks calcium within intestinal muscles and aids in digestion. This can provide relief from cramps, pains and abdominal discomfort incurred by diarrhea.
Eating ginger in any form; whether dried, crushed or in the form of juice is helpful to relieve diarrhoea. Ginger also has medicinal properties, which help in stopping diarrhea faster in a natural way.
- Diarrhea: Causes, Symptoms, Home Remedies For Adults and Children, Prevention Tips
- What Can Cause Traveler's Diarrhea & Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
- Causes of Diarrhea after Eating Spicy Food & Ways to Prevent it
- What to Eat During Diarrhea?
- IBS & Diarrhea: What Causes IBS Along With Diarrhea & How is it Treated?
- What Causes Diarrhea and Constipation at the Same Time?
- Can You Get Diarrhea From Acid Reflux?