How Long Does a Mouth Ulcer Take to Heal & Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
How Long Does A Mouth Ulcer Take to Heal?
Suffering from mouth ulcers is a common and a very irritating problem. Mouth ulcers are open and painful sores which are white in color and surrounded by an inflamed red border. Mouth ulcers commonly develop on the floor of the mouth, lips, inside of the cheeks and under the tongue.
The causes of mouth ulcers are many such as constipation, food triggers, hereditary factors, excessive acidity, hormonal changes, stress, accidental cheek bites, vitamin and nutrient deficiencies.
The Healing Time for Mouth Ulcers is around a week to 10 days. The healing time for Herpetiform ulcers and major ulcers, however, is longer than 10 days.
Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
There are many effective home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers and 12 such best home remedies are described below:
Ice is a very effective home remedy which numbs the pain of mouth ulcers. Patient should apply ice as soon as they feel pain, tingling and burning sensation before the appearance of shallow mouth ulceration.
- Coconut milk is another effective home remedy, which helps in soothing the pain of mouth ulcers.
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut milk and mix a little honey in it. Massage the affected area with mouth ulcers with this about thrice a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
- Coconut oil can also be used to massage or apply on the mouth ulcers.
- You can also rinse your mouth with fresh coconut milk daily to get rid of mouth ulcers.
- Licorice root is a great herb for curing mouth ulcers, as it contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Licorice root acts as a demulcent and forms a protective coating on the ulcers which soothes the open lesions and resists irritation.
- Take two cups of water and soak one tablespoon of crushed licorice root in it for about three hours. After which strain it and use this solution as a mouth rinse multiple times daily.
- Alternatively deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) extract can be taken as chewable tablets or gargling can be done with warm water which has DGL dissolved in it.
Fenugreek contains natural anti-inflammatory and infection fighting properties and is extremely beneficial in the healing of mouth ulcers. Take two cups of water and add one cup of fenugreek leaves to it and bring it to a boil. Next, strain this solution and keep it aside with the lid covered. Use this solution to gargle thrice daily to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Coriander seeds are another effective home remedy to get rid of mouth ulcers. Coriander seeds help in reducing inflammation and relieving the pain from mouth ulcers.
Take a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds in it and bring it to a boil. Next, strain it and let this solution cool down. Take a mouthful of this solution and swish it around in your mouth. Repeat this 4 times daily to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Sugar Candy & Camphor
Application of mixture of sugar candy and camphor on the mouth ulcers is one of the simplest home remedy for treating mouth ulcers. Take one part of camphor and 7 parts of sugar candy and mix it together. Apply this paste on the mouth ulcers to heal them and get rid of them.
Sea Salt & Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide as well as sea salt contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties. Both of these can be used in combination o separately to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Take a glass of warm water and add 3% hydrogen peroxide and two teaspoons of sea salt in it and mix it well. Use this solution as a mouth rinse twice a day to get rid of mouth ulcers. Be careful as to not swallow this solution.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is very popular for its antiseptic and healing properties. You can make your own antiseptic mouthwash using tea tree oil. Take about 1/3 cup of water and add 10 drops of tea tree oil to it and mix it well. Take a mouthful of this solution and swish this in your mouth for 30 seconds before spitting it out. Do this twice a day to cure mouth sores.
Sodium bicarbonate commonly known as baking soda is a useful home remedy for treating mouth ulcers, especially those ulcers which develop as a result of acidic drinks or foods as baking soda neutralizes acid. Baking soda also eliminates bacteria and germs along with reducing inflammation. However, baking soda also tends to cause a burning sensation.
Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with some water to form a thin paste. Dab this paste on the mouth ulcers. Do this several times daily. Other than this, baking soda can be applied directly on the mouth ulcer for faster healing.
- Honey has antimicrobial, antioxidant and soothing properties and greatly helps in relieving the mouth ulcers. Honey also retains moisture and speeds up the healing process.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it in honey and then dab it gently on the mouth ulcers. If the mouth ulcer are caused due to radiation therapy, then manuka honey should be used.
- Similarly, vitamin E oil or glycerin can be used instead of honey to heal the mouth ulcers.
Aloe Vera is a natural antiseptic and contains antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Application of aloe vera juice or gel to the mouth ulcers helps in relieving the pain from ulcers and speeds the healing of the mouth ulcers.
Basil Leaves & Celery
- Basil leaves contains antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties and are great for speeding up the healing process and getting rid of mouth ulcers quickly.
- Take four or five basil leaves and wash them thoroughly. Chew on the basil leaves and sip some water. Repeat this twice daily; this remedy will not only cure mouth ulcers, but will also get rid of bad breath.
- Celery is another herb which contains loads of anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Take a fresh celery stalk and chew it daily to get rid of mouth ulcers. You can keep the chewed pulp of the celery on the mouth ulcer for some minutes to heal the mouth ulcers. This will also help in getting rid of bad breath.
- Other than trying all these home remedies, it is also important to avoid acidic or spicy foods to get rid of mouth ulcers. Always use a soft toothbrush for brushing teeth. If mouth ulcers do not heal with these home remedies and are extremely painful, then consult a doctor immediately.