Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) is an aggressive and dangerous tumor that has a poor prognosis and high mortality rate. The main risk factors are chronic sun exposure and weaned immune system therefore, prevention strategies should be taken at home to reduce the risk of getting Merkel cell carcinoma. The home remedies can be divided into two parts, home remedies to prevent Merkel cell carcinoma and home remedies/complementary and alternative therapies as treatment for Merkel cell carcinoma.
Home Remedies For Merkel Cell Carcinoma
Eat A Diet High In Fruits And Vegetables: Have food that boosts up your immune system. Research studies have suggested that deficiency in different micronutrients such as selenium, iron, zinc, copper, folic acid and vitamin A, B6, C, and E can change the immune response. However, it’s still not clear how exactly the immune response is changed.
The below-mentioned food can boost up your immune system
- Food that is rich in vitamin A are pumpkin, carrots, sweet potatoes, mango, and cantaloupe
- Citrus fruits are lime, lemons, oranges, tangerine, and grapefruit. These fruits contain vitamin C and it boosts the immune system by increasing the white blood cells in the body. It is also important for healthy skin.
- Food that is rich in vitamin E is sweet potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, turnips, apples, mangoes, and avocados.
- Most of the fruits contain antioxidants, which helps to prevent or slow the damage caused by free radicals to cells. Berries like blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, strawberries, and raspberries have high amounts of antioxidants. (2)
Red Bell Pepper: Red bell pepper contains twice the amount of vitamin C as citrus fruits. It also contains beta carotene. It makes your immune system strong and keeps your eyes and skin healthy.
Broccoli: Broccoli contains vitamin A, C, E and antioxidants.
Garlic And Ginger: Both garlic and ginger have properties that can boost up your immune system.
Nutritional Supplements: Some patients find it good and beneficial in Merkel cell carcinoma, although the exact benefit of it’s not known.
Exercise Regularly: Exercises aren’t beneficial directly in boosting up the immune system but it can be beneficial to maintain a strong immune system along with the rest of your body. However, it improves the blood circulation thus, increases immune cell circulation around the body which enables the immune system to fight against infections, destroy harmful cells and remove toxic products from the body.
Get Adequate Sleep: Sleep is essential for a healthy lifestyle and thus, it can boost up your immune system as well.
Try To Minimize Stress: Stress can weaken your immune system therefore, try to minimize stress and practice stress-relieving measures. (1) (3)
Home Remedies/Complementary And Alternative Medicine (CAM) For Treatment Of Merkel Cell Carcinoma
Some patients have engaged in dietary and nutritional therapy specific for Merkel cell carcinoma and they have found it to be beneficial. It’s best you talk about this with a naturopathic physician before making a move forward.
There is one case study on a 58-year-old man who was diagnosed with an unusual (cytokeratin 7 positive) Merkel cell carcinoma. He underwent a local excision and lymph node biopsy, the lymph nodes were positive therefore, later he underwent a lymph node dissection. The patient underwent a course of radiotherapy and later found to have metastasis in the liver. The patient wanted to follow CAM which included dietary changes and nutritional supplements. After 5 weeks of CAM, the liver metastasis has disappeared and he did not have any problem even after 3 years. (3)
The home remedies can be divided into two parts, home remedies to prevent Merkel cell carcinoma and home remedies/complementary and alternative therapies as treatment for Merkel cell carcinoma. Home remedies to prevent Merkel cell carcinoma mainly involve boosting up the immune system with dietary changes, regular exercises, cessation of smoking, good sleep and minimizing stress. Some patients follow nutritional therapy for the treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma and some patients have found it to be beneficial and cure cancer however, the exact mechanism of this is not known.
- What is Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC), Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications, Prevention
- How Does Merkel Cell Carcinoma Affect The Body & What Triggers It?
- Life Expectancy Of Someone With Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Is Merkel Cell Carcinoma Fatal & What Does Merkel Cell Cancer Look Like?
- Is Merkel Cell Carcinoma A Serious Condition & Can It Be Reversed?
- What Are The First Symptoms Of Merkel Cell Carcinoma & How Do You Test For It?
- Best Exercises/Activities For Merkel Cell Carcinoma