MCI is the acronym for Mild Cognitive Impairment and it refers to decline in one’s mental ability affecting few old adults. According to experts, mild cognitive impairment belongs to intermediate stage between expected cognitive decline in an individual’s normal aging and the severe form of cognitive decline i.e. dementia.
However, unlike dementia or any other similar type of cognitive disorder, including the Alzheimer’s disease, mild cognitive impairment is often not a severe one and hence, a person does not require treatment or his/her problem does not interfere with the daily life.
Home Remedies to Deal with Mild Cognitive Impairment
As discussed above, an individual suffering from mild cognitive impairment does not require any major treatment. However, if you follow the mentioned home remedies, you may deal with your mild cognitive impairment problem in an easy way.
Consumption Of Anti-inflammatory Diet Or Whole Food Diet
Anti-inflammatory diet is a good home remedy for mild cognitive impairment. Whole food diet or anti-inflammatory diet, which contains antioxidants from fruits and veggies in relatively higher amounts combined with adequate amount of fat, is supportive towards mental health among both aged and young people. DASH diet and Mediterranean Diet are the two popular diet plans intend to improve one’s cardiovascular health, because of which experts call it MIND diet. The main role of MIND diet is to reduce the cognitive decline, as it is dense in healthy nutrients and contain fiber plus antioxidants, such as the beta-carotene, flavonoids, quercetin and resveratrol in higher amounts. Especially, you have to intake the following food items categorized under MIND diet to protect your brain from inflammation and in turn, to reduce your risk related to mild cognitive impairment.
- Berries, green leafy veggies and other similar types of high-antioxidant food items
- Yellow and orange colored veggies, like carrots, pumpkin, squash and peppers along with cruciferous veggies, such as cauliflower and broccoli
- Sardines, salmon and mackerel, along with other wild-caught fishes, as they come in omega-3 fatty acids in high amounts are perfect anti-inflammatory food items to deal with mild cognitive impairment. Especially, wild-caught salmons come with a carotenoid type of antioxidant i.e. astaxanthin capable to give support to your brain’s health.
- Seeds, nuts, avocado and olive oil, along with other healthy fats
- Beans, legumes, eggs and pasture-raised poultry products, as they contain lean protein
- 100percent whole grains for individuals capable to tolerate them
- Coffee and wine in moderation
- Intake Of Essential Supplements
Intake of essential supplements is a good home remedy for mild cognitive impairment:
Vitamin D3: Specific studies have revealed that vitamin D deficient people often remain at high risk related to dementia. To avoid this, you should make sure getting regular exposure to the sun that too with your bare skin. Moreover, you should intake vitamin D3 supplement, as it allows the best absorption. You should intake about 5000 IU on a daily basis.
CoQ10: The level of CoQ10 declines with aging of an individual. Positively, an individual may intake CoQ10 natural supplement to reduce his/her progress of mild cognitive impairment. To make the most, you should start with 200 mg of your dosage on a daily basis.
Ginseng and Ginkgo Biloba: Natural herbs, such as Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng are helpful to improve blood circulation and intend to boost energy, memory retention and provide several other cognitive benefits. Hence, a person should intake 120 mg of the herbs daily to manage the mild cognitive impairment symptoms.
Phosphatidylserine: Phosphatidylserine has a prime role in cellular structures of individuals and thereby, acts as a key to maintain cellular functions in the human brain. Supplementation may bring improvement in the cell memory and communication, while the intake of Phosphatidylserine of 300 mg on daily basis gives benefits to patients at the initial stage of Alzheimer’s disease.
Note: It is important to consult a physician before starting any supplement regimen.
Criteria To Diagnose Mild Cognitive Impairment
Until now, a person has to undergo diagnosis for mild cognitive impairment in case of following major criteria-
- Cognitive complaints from the respective person
- Impairment or decline in the individual thinking as compared to the one in his/her early life.
- Objective evidence related to cognitive domain’s impairment, like from close friends and family members.
- Most of the regular functional activities as compared to the ones take place in case of dementia.
- Alzheimer’s Association. (n.d.). Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI). https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-dementia/related_conditions/mild-cognitive-impairment
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Mild Cognitive Impairment. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mild-cognitive-impairment/symptoms-causes/syc-20354578
- MedlinePlus. (2022). Mild Cognitive Impairment. https://medlineplus.gov/mildcognitiveimpairment.html
- Harvard Health Publishing. (2021). Can certain diets help MCI? https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/can-certain-diets-help-mci
- National Institute on Aging. (2022). Mild Cognitive Impairment. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/mild-cognitive-impairment
- What Causes You To Have A Mild Cognitive Impairment?
- How Fast Does Mild Cognitive Impairment Progress?
- Mild Cognitive Impairment Test
- Self-Help For Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Lifestyle Changes For Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Can Mild Cognitive Impairment Go Away On Its Own?
- What Is The Best Medicine For Mild Cognitive Impairment?