Mitral valve regurgitation is a disease of the heart that arises due to a valve defect called as mitral valve prolapse. In this condition, the purified blood that should move forth from the left auricle to the left ventricle, does not do so effectively and as a result, there is a backflow of blood from the ventricle to the auricle. This is known as regurgitation. It happens because the mitral valve leaflets prolapse in the left auricle, instead of closing shut.
Home Remedies For Mitral Valve Regurgitation
While you cannot correct the defect in the mitral valve, you can surely treat your symptoms and get symptomatic relief from mitral valve regurgitation. There are some natural remedies, which may help you achieve this and prevent future complications. These natural remedies may also help you push the mitral valve surgery down the road.
These tips may be beneficial in reducing the symptoms of this condition-
Eat a heart healthy diet-
- Eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables is the best possible home remedy for mitral valve regurgitation
- It is best to use organic produce, as it will be free of harmful chemicals and pesticides
- Grains containing gluten, soy, sugar, corn etc. can cause inflammation. Inflammation is known to worsen the heart problems
- Include some healthy fats. Nuts and seeds are a good option
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated
- Dehydration is the source of many unwanted side-effects and complications
- Avoid sugars, salt and refined grains and foods in large quantities
- Avoid processed and packaged foods
- MSGs are a potential health hazard and should be completely eliminated
Exercises and activity sessions-
- Mild exercise may be a home remedy for mitral valve regurgitation
- Mild to moderate activity according to your condition, can be included in your daily routine
- It is best to do aerobic exercises and avoid isometric exercises
- Heart is a muscle and like any other muscles in the body, it gets stronger with exercise. However, it is extremely essential to give it the right kind of activity and exercise
Isometric exercises can cause a sudden rise in your blood pressure which can be very dangerous for your heart. An example of an isometric exercise is weight lifting
- Aerobic exercises give a gradual work out to your heart and hence is best for heart patients. These exercises include walking, running etc.
- However, before embarking on any exercises, it is best to consult your doctor and do according to his guidance.
- Stress and anxiety can cause a lot of health problems
- While you cannot avoid stress completely, you can certainly tackle it with some stress-relieving measures like yoga, meditation and relaxing massages
- However, all of these should be done under an expert supervision and with a proper guidance of your doctor
Herbs As A Home Remedy For Mitral Valve Regurgitation
There are some herbs that can prove to be beneficial for mitral valve regurgitation-
- Arjuna– the medicinal name being terminalia Arjuna, this is a wonderful drug when it comes to cardiac tonics. It is well known for its cardiotonic properties and strengthens the complete cardiovascular system. It can act as a general cardiovascular tonic, to prevent you against any heart diseases, as well as a remedial drug for the treatment of any cardiovascular diseases. The bark of this tree is boiled in water and the decoction is used as a remedial or preventive measure.
- Garlic– a simple drug available right in your kitchen, this is a wonderful remedy for cardiac diseases. Including garlic to your daily meal in some form can keep your heart problems at bay. It is known to lower high blood pressure and tackle high cholesterol. Garlic improves the blood circulation and also exerts anti-thrombotic effects.
Most times, people do not experience any symptoms of mitral valve regurgitation and there is no need for any intervention, except for a careful monitoring. However, if needed, some natural and home remedies may help you reduce your symptoms and may help in preventing the progress of the disease.
- Mitral Valve Prolapse or Floppy Mitral Valve Syndrome
- What Causes You To Have Mitral Valve Disease?
- Coping Methods For Mitral Valve Disease
- Can You Exercise With Mitral Valve Prolapse?
- How Is Mitral Valve Disease Diagnosed?
- What Is The Prognosis For Mitral Valve Disease?
- Surgery For Mitral Valve Disease